blair_bravermanIf we didn’t find the lambs fast enough, then the crows got them. The first time they beat us, they left a lamb with red holes for eyes stumbling in the mud, bawling for milk. There were live lambs everywhere, yellow and bloody, and this one seemed no more grotesque than any other. A killed it fast with the back of an axe while I waved my arms to distract its mother. // We'd lost three ewes that week, birthing. The last one we got to in time to call a vet, and I held its neck while the man shoved loose, dangling organs back inside her. She didn't moan, just huffed her breath, her eyes wide and white and her head sinking ever lower. He threaded a shoelace under her tail, tied it in a bow, and said to untie it in a few days. She was bleeding like a faucet. It'll stop, he said, but it didn't, and the next morning the barn was full of crows that filled the air when I walked in, and smacked all at once against the windows, and the sheep was dead and her eyes gone too. A and I dragged her body out on a feed sack, heaving in unison. We had to heave twice over the door frame. "Some people have cows," A said, panting, and we both laughed. // Two days later, another lamb, worse: its flesh and bone pecked out through a neat hole in its belly; its fleece still so clean and white. It was a bag of lamb, perfect but for its hollowness, and when A lifted it up I felt sick, the crows all around, watching. Even that morning, A had fed them bread behind the barn when no one was watching. It was his compulsion: he had to feed everything. Now he dropped the empty lamb into another empty sack. F leaned out the window with his father's rifle and shot twice, and nobody jumped but me. #TrueStories #NatureWriting #arctic #wordsandpictures #InstaEssay #farming #babyanimals
- fifililleyThis is quite traumati.
- fifililleyTraumatic to read I'm sorry
- jeffsharletI think this might be my new Instagram essay.
- blair_braverman@jeffsharlet ?
- jeffsharletThat's right, it's Instagram, you just take what you want! (Seriously -- I accidentally deleted "favorite." I think this is my new favorite Instagram essay.)
- blair_braverman@jeffsharlet wow, thanks!! Consider it yours, but now that i know the rules of Instagram, I'll be taking a few of yrs in return.
- instacutelittleanimalsWe post the cutest baby animal pics everyday for your daily dose of 'aww' :P
- thenightnightclubl o v e <3 33
- sharlets_used@wboling @dawn.kim
Log in to like or comment.