seagypsea_photographyRepost of an image I posted a few weeks ago...Is what your seeing really real??? I was lucky enough to work with @meagsk for a personal underwater portrait session a few weeks ago. After posting one of the images from the session to social media, a swim wear company took the image and heavily photo-shopped it without permission of either myself or Meaghan.
The result of the drastically edited image is seen on @meagsk instagram.
As a photographer, I understand the importance of editing to bring out the best in an image. I am the first to admit that Photoshop allows creativity to be showcased to a higher level. The use of Photoshop to alter body image in order to portray a stereotype is all to common in this industry. This particular Photoshop of the image is a breach of copyright as there was no permission sought before manipulating it for their advertising means.
These situations are not of an isolated occurrence in the industry, and are all to common, highlighting the unrealistic expectations of beauty and body image.
Courageously, Meaghan voiced her opinion and with the help of Dr Rick Kausman her situation is being heard.
Meaghan, Dr Rick Kausman and Myself have been invited to discuss our experience and the greater issues associated with such situations from channel 9's " the today show " @thetodayshow Tune in at 9am this Sunday morning ( 24th August ) to hear the full story.
- seagypsea_photography@cosmopolitan #mycosmo
- alize_a_@seagypsea_photography so glad you are speaking up about this ! so many young girls on instagram look at these accounts, I've seen comments where they express their desires to change their body type to fit what these brands think is beautiful. We have to change this !
- seagypsea_photography@alize_a_ I agree! Thank you for your support!!
- sweetkatastropheSo beautiful as is. I love that this is getting called out. Women everywhere that strive for impossible beauty standards should see this.
- seagypsea_photography@sweetkatastrophe thank you, I agree!
- gracieandcompanyThey just stole it?!
- seagypsea_photography@graciethelabrador they screen shot it and edited a screen shot as I had no communication with them and certainly did not send them a copy of the image
- seagypsea_photography@graciethelabrador I'm all for sharing and reporting I think it's wonderful! But destroying my photo and creative property is far from any professional courtesy.
- seagypsea_photography@graciethelabrador sorry not reporting I meant reposting!
- jenniferscottukAbsolutely stunning work! Can't believe they did that...
- pearlie_white_this picture and the model are beautiful the way they are. Disgusting that the company is propagating unrealistic body images.
- katrienaemmanuelHow could they edit it, the swimwear label don't have the right to retouch or edit the photographer's photos unless it's in a written agreement. It's your image you have fully copyright of it and it's within your power to take action against them for the fact they altered your image without your authorisation
- seagypsea_photography@kat_r_ella I agree! I am still shocked!
- makumodelI am a photographic model and say NO retouching, thanks for thinking like me!
- thatoneanimalloverGorgeous woman in an amazing photo
- licicoxWhat a wonderful way to be able to speak out!
- naiara.picsI Love it
Log in to like or comment.