questloveMan. The smallest gesture can mean the world to you. Robin Williams made such an impact on me and didn't even know it. He named checked all of us in the elevator during the 2001 Grammys. I know y'all think I do this false modesty/T Swift "gee shucks" thing to the hilt. But yeah sometimes when you put 20 hour days in you do think it's for naught and that it goes thankless. Grammy time is somewhat of a dark time simply because you just walk around asking yourself is it worth it or not: all the sweat and blood. I just felt like (despite winning grammy the year before) no one really cares all that much for us except for a select few. Especially in that environment I'm which people treat you like minions until they discover what you can do for them...if you're not a strong character you run the risk of letting it get to you. This particular Sunday we were walking backstage and had to ride the elevator to the backstage area and we piled inside when suddenly this voice just said "questlove.....black thought....rahzel....the roots from Philadelphia!!!! That's right you walked on this elevator saying to yourself "ain't no way this old white dude knows my entire history and discography"....we laughed so hard. That NEVER happened to is before. Someone a legend acknowledged us and really knew who we were (his son put him on to us) man it was a small 2 min moment in real life but that meant the world to me at the time. Everytime I saw him afterwards he tried to top his trivia knowledge on all things Roots associated. Simply because he knew that meant everything to me. May his family find peace at this sad time. I will miss Robin Williams. #RIP.
- jonnyscullsWow......what a great story!
- leandroterreroI knew You were talented just by how your name is sacred amongst hip hop..."gurus" I guess. Reading this story has allowed me to see how you perceive things and what you deemed to be very important to you. You have yet another fan and follower sir.
- rebelliousbeautystyle@questlove you have the greatest stories #questthegriot
- unrealwonder@the_capricious_cris this one too... I love this dude's observations and humble attitude
- kriskubric@unrealwonder We lost two legends in the last few weeks. RIP. They will always life on in the hearts of people they touched and the amazing work they created while they were here (:
- greenberrys_jamAnother story you'll think is dope, @msmanzione
- _austingrant@h_pettus23 read the caption on this picture.
- bggirlvAs I was reading what he said to you all in the elevator...I could just hear him 😢
- lookatmex50@angelnuffsaid awww RIP 😿
- shmarg0Awesome story! Gave me chills actually. Thank you for sharing 💕
- anjel646@theperfectfit :: read the CAPTION
- justmetinagVery nice
- transcendnycbeautiful anecdote quest
- undanganpernikahan9nice jacket
Log in to like or comment.