jonlowensteinSouth Side - Pilsen I rolled over to Pilsen tonight to see the total community love for the Fourth of July. I ended up at the corner of Cullerton and Carpenter and spent a good two hours photographing the whole block going up in fireworks. Long time resident Gelacio Rodriguez explained to me that they had been doing this tradition for more than forty years. They celebrate various birthdays on the block and blow up copious amounts of fireworks. During the day they have a religious ceremony on the block and basically by nightfall they are having a literal blast. For the finale they lay out a line of 16,000 firecrackers that comes in a long roll and light it simultaneously in different parts. Then they light the loudest fireworks toward the end while playing America the Beautiful. Quite a show I must admit and it riled me up good. @jonlowenstein #southside #pilsen @noorimages
- amfoto@ammiel 😭🙌✨
- erose_I love the story.
- jonlowensteinThanks @erose!
- pondfisherI remember this tradition from when I was a child#memories#southsidegirl
- cratekaneThat's the most beautiful photograph of fireworks I've ever seen.
- jonlowensteinThanks @cratekane! That means a lot to me.
- jonlowenstein@cratekane glad you like the story and image.
- iamjoseangel@jonlowenstein come thru Pilsen Cermak and Paulina I want you to document some Chicago House Music artist
- dchart7Love your photos Jon of my hometown! 💗 💗 💗
- attorneyboydodomHave you photographed the Chicago Police doing roll call on 79th East of Yates? It is so cool seeing them lined up at attention in uniform. Great picture. Unfortunately, not so great results.
- _mackenzie_smith_109thats cool
Log in to like or comment.