nasaAstronomers Confounded By Massive Rocky World - Astronomers have discovered a rocky planet that weighs 17 times as much as Earth and is more than twice as large in size. This discovery has planet formation theorists challenged to explain how such a world could have formed. Worlds such as this were not thought possible to exist. The enormous gravitational force of such a massive body would accrete a gas envelope during formation, ballooning the planet to a gas giant the size of Neptune or even Jupiter. However, this planet is thought to be solid, composed primarily of rock.
This image is an artist concept that shows the Kepler-10 system, home to two rocky planets. In the foreground is Kepler-10c, a planet that weighs 17 times as much as Earth and is more than twice as large in size.
Image Credit: Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics/David Aguilar
#planets #nasa #kepler #astronomy #science #exoplanet #earth
- escaperx@mezozoialo Ныне и присно. И во веки веков.
- rexmonster1Whoa that's crazy
- makeupby_alo@danafierce 😳
- thepeartriot@ultimate_science_geek they can kind of guess the weight of the planet by how big the shadow of it is in pictures and if bits of light pass through it then its a gas giant but no light can pass through so it's rock. And it takes a pretty good amount of time
- thepeartriotAnd they use powerful telescopes like Kepler for example
- itscindyyyvelasquezzThe universe is beutifuuuuul ♥
- mdhsh0005سبحان الجميل الذي جمل تلك الكواكب سبحان ربي الأعلى
- hollyhardman11@hannahmarycarroll @niamh_highsted
- plenilunio__1@darksideofthemoom literally our home:') #justforfreaks4a.m.
- weird_pictures_lolI bet there is life there but idk i think it does because the clouds are familiar to ours
- patofons@weird_pictures_lol you realise this is an artists rendition right?
Log in to like or comment.