aiwwTime: 25th May, 2014
Location: UCCA cafeteria
Recording method: Video
Participants: Philip Tinari Director of UCCA Ai Weiwei (part two)
A: You don’t think that’s a scandal?Don’t you stand behind artists or friends or any moral issues or artistic issues like this?
P: I stand behind trying to show your work in Beijing, no one else can do it.
A: Come on, when I was released Faurshou did a 5000 students names with my sunflower seeds. My name, press release, everything’s there. You guys just self-censor and you try to.. I don’t know what you’re trying to do.
P: (…) It’s not self-censoring
A: It’s not self-censoring? So what are you doing then?
P: Asked by the management of 798.
A: Well your boss told me it’s a self-censor, she decided and then discussed with you and you also agreed with it…. I’m very disappointed.
P: I know you are.. and I’m sorry.
A: No, no it’s not about sorry.
P: I wrote about your work before anyone…
A: If Chinese contemporary art has any moment for integrity,
P: I wrote ten pages about you
A: This is a different thing. I know I know and we’re friends, but that’s very different. I recognize our friendship but this is very different. I cannot stand people doing things with one hand and then with another.. it’s just not proper.
P: I have to think.. I can’t get the museum shut down on my watch.
A: Come on, you’re over stating this. I know and I’m not criticizing you, we are still friends.
P: It’s a decision I’m not allowed to make. You know, I’m a stupid foreigner, I shouldn’t even be in China, right? I know that’s what you probably think. But like, I’m dong what I try to do, and it’s the best I can do.
A: You’re young, you don’t have to do this. You have a bright future, you don’t have to ruin yourself with this Chineseness. You don’t have to do it!
- startfinish"Chineseness" - word of the day
- oliviabyington😘thanks for the marvelous exibition @brooklinmuseum
- kidljYou got it! @startfinish
- futurejackabeesreal talk
- pottery_chicaI think it's worse when people who think we are friends let us down. Loyalty is all we have left. And courage. This curator lacks both. So disappointing.
- dieshannonw我滴个天呐 真行 看着就窝火，作为一个外国人 不远万里来到中国是为了啥 真丢人
- dieshannonw又说写过十页文章 又说自己傻不该来中国 他可能已经忘记他来干什么来了 中国政府就是这么牛逼 就能把你整的原则都丢了
- tkdjessikaThank you again for sharing. I agree. It's the principle of actions that matter, and people need to be open about what they are doing.
- christinadisingtonI love your head. Thank You for sharing.
- molliemolAmazing. Well-done. Thank you.
- namladi@zoflor @rrrraaannd for the book- read transcript above
- linyang95What happened?
- eyalbendov1Ruin your self with Chineseness
- cecilia_limaloboI'm from Brazil and I saw your beautiful expositon at Brooklyn Museum last week. It's spetacular! Congrats! Hope that one day this exposition can come to Brazil.
Log in to like or comment.