aiwwTime: 23rd May, 2014 19:00
Recording method: Mobile phone call
Participants: Xue Mei CEO of UCCA Ai Weiwei (part four)
X: That curator is an old woman. She disagreed as well, but she understood our position at the same time, because we are a foreign gallery, we are under the surveillance of different departments. I had to accompany a few parties today, someone reported that we were promoting gay sex, it’s all nonsense, they can just arrest me if that is the only option, I don’t care.
A: This is all very simple to me, you are holding an exhibition in memory of my dear friend, a partner of mine, I have nothing against that, all I am saying is that it is inappropriate for me to leave my artwork here, if you feel too disgraced to show my name, then my artwork does not belong in that exhibition hall.
X: What happened was, Phil disagreed, but I tried to simplify the situation, as long as the artworks are in the exhibition, we can put your name next to it, that is of utmost importance, who cares about the press release.
A: None of this is important, the most important thing is to respect the facts, I don’t care about my name. What I care about is that Hans did an extraordinary thing in his life, he founded the CAAW together with me, we held numerous exhibitions of different artists over the course of a few decades, and you chose to ignore it, you chose to ignore simple historical facts, what you are doing is changing the course of history, like the Tiananmen Square incident, you are all the same, even if you worked with Nazi’s you would all be the same.
X: Mr. Ai please try to understand where I am coming from, if you pull you work out I will…
A: There is no reason, it is simply a matter of principle.
X: Yes it is a matter of principle, but what do you suggest we do, we cannot please everyone.
A: I don’t need you to make me happy, I just wish that you do not offend Hans in his commemorative exhibition, I have made myself very clear.
X: So how would you suggest we make up for this?
A: There is no need to make up for it, all you need to do is not to speak of it from now on, then you can Phil can celebrate all you want, goodbye. (the end)
- amkianjaya@aiww good fucking jobs!more English post mr. Ai
- mimritzAre you going to pull your work?
- minniedingle@aiww Thank you for posting some in English so we can follow your life, art and issues.
- b_chelsy@aiww I am also thankful with @minniedingle, I am an American and love and support your work and try to follow your life, art and struggles through news and articles. Now, the occasional post in English allows me to understand your struggle from your own perspective and the sacrifices you make for your art more thoroughly.
- o0ayame0oIt is unfortunate that this is the way things have turned out simply because of fear.
- alessandracFrom Wikipedia: "UCCA is a comprehensive, not-for-profit art center serving a global Beijing public. As a platform for contemporary art linking China and the world, UCCA offers exhibitions and public programs which focus attention on the cultural situation in China, stimulate the development of the arts, and advance the public cultural sensibility." MISLEADING INFORMATION...no wonder
- paulanowsnapDear @aiww Thank you for posting in English as I very much like to know what is happening in your life as an outspoken artist. I am deeply moved by your work and challenges. Kindest regards, Paula
- minniedingle@b_chelsy Right on!
- brian_janeczkoWow. Keep up the good fight @aiww.
- tkdjessikaThank you. It is about the principle.
- yoyxxThere is no need to exaggerate the whole thing by linking Ucca to tiananmen incident n the nazis, i feel like ur trying trigger sth thats not needed here. Obviously ur trying rly hard by posting this in both chinese n english.
- shendyd@damienhirst 데미언 ㅋ친구추가 ㄱㄱ
- daryl_lucero@yoyxx its actually quite simple to post things in different languages.
- nofrills100The correlation here between what the Chinese government are doing and what the Nazis did, is spot on @yoyxx It is important that Ai is exposing the way the government has silenced the UCCA, because it indicative of how they brainwash the entire people of China. Brainwashing and censorship allows the government to commit atrocities with the support of its people - looking at history, does that not ring alarm bells for you? Explaining it all in English puts the truth out there on an international level.
- foreverpuppy_mochi@aiww thank you for posting in English. As so many others have said, you are an inspiration.
- goodmanmorrisbrightonThank you for the translations.
Log in to like or comment.