aiwwTime: 23rd May, 2014 19:00
Location: Indigo, Jiuxianqiao, Beijing
Recording method: Mobile phone call
Participants: Xue Mei CEO of UCCA Ai Weiwei
A: There is no need for us to meet face to face, what is the point in meeting up? Phil also asked to meet with me.
X: I hoped to speak with you regarding this incident when you came to the exhibition, but you walked straight in. We saw each other last time, remember?
A: That is not the issue, what we are dealing with is not something that can be resolved between the two of us, this involves the history of Chinese Art, if you want to commemorate my friend, Hans was one of my best friends, our friendship is stronger than his relationship with all of you put together, so for you to commemorate him but at the same time dismiss me is just a joke. Even the Dutch Cultural Ambassador asked, “Oh, did you know Hans too?” I didn’t even know how to respond.
X: The Dutch Ambassador knows nothing at all, he only sponsored US$2,000, what right does he have to comment on this.
A: It doesn’t matter whether he understands or not, this is the impression he gave me.
X: I have been put under all sorts of pressure in the past week, all sorts of pressure. This is how I came up with this solution, your name was on the previous versions of the press release, your name was on our website and press releases, so I spoke to Phil and suggested that we temporarily remove Mr. Ai’s name from our website and press releases, in the hopes that Mr. Ai’s artwork could be exhibited, we planed on putting your name back up after the opening.
A: What did Phil say to that?
X: Of course Phil disagreed, but we didn’t have any other options, they threatened to arrest me. Phil had no choice but to comply, of course Phil disagreed, we had a dispute over this. But this really was our only way out.
A: So the UCCA can discard of Phil’s opinion as a curator? What about the other female curator? What did she have to say?
(to be continue)
- babyfreshtearskeep fighting, ai weiwei!
- cpdeanWow! Stay strong!
- dgatterdamThey are weasles!
- dgatterdamThis is the UCCA twitter account- @UCCA798 Maybe people can leave them a message on how they feel about this.
- dorinfrankfurtThinking of you! At least now history can not be erased or rewritten so easily anymore Miki & Dorin
- antdhkWhat she said about the Dutch ambassador in Chi is actually better translated as something along lines of: "The Dutch ambassador doesn't know shit."...
- guy_longYou're an inspiration. This is great
- kelly_the_redInvisible man.
Log in to like or comment.