aiwwTime: 23rd May, 2014 19:00
Location: Indigo, Jiuxianqiao, Beijing
Recording method: Mobile phone call
Participants: Xue Mei CEO of UCCA Ai Weiwei
X: Your name was originally in the press release, but they requested that I take your name off first.
A: Who requested for my name to be taken off?
X: All of your artwork had to be approved, I have done everything in my power for them to be exhibited.
A: You haven’t answered my question, who told you to take my name off?
A: Who told you to take my name off?
X: Hello, I have no reception…
A: You said, “They requested that I take your name off first.” Who does “they” refer to?
X: What I meant was, our exhibition is in a sensitive period of time, which is why we took your name down first, so the artworks could be approved, after which we can put your name back on again. The reason behind not putting your name in the press release is because today is the opening and we do not wish for them to come and raid the place, do you understand what I’m saying?
A: Who are “they”?
X: Um… well… I am the CEO and I am responsible for a lot of things.
A: I’ve got nothing to do with you. You keep referring to “they”, can you please tell me who “they” are?
X: Quite a few different parties, The Propaganda Department of the Central Committee of the CPC for instance, just different authorities.
A: The Propaganda Department of the Central Committee of the CPC is monitoring your exhibition?
X: It is because we are a foreign gallery, there are a lot of assessments and legally binding limitations.
A: How did you know my name had to be taken off and not the names of others?
X: That’s not true, there are others.
A: I don’t know, then why did you say Hans Van Dijk founded the CAAW together with “somebody”, in doing so you not only removed my name but also changed the course of history. He founded the CAAW together with me, how could you just say he worked with “somebody”? Isn’t that ridiculous?
(to be continue)
- vanityangelfixxThis is crazy. Thank you for also providing the English translations.
- brain____________________heartthank you for translating
- jeanyjunkmotherf***k! .. you don't do that, Mr. X !!
- kaja_bajaGosh China. Blows my mind
- debrapeckThank you for translating.
- alexleese@rk0202 @samniverse Wah!
- ladykfeverThank you for your truth !
- girlonaredbikeThis is why we are with you #neversorry
- dgatterdamThis is the UCCA twitter account- @UCCA798 Maybe people can leave them a message on how they feel about this.
- _velveteenrabbit_@eolmosm amazingly horrible
- c_____cum______I don't think I fully understand but why is that a bad idea to take his name off the press release so that his art can be displayed? It's not like he won't be credited, but with all the surveillance this seems like the only way his art can be displayed
- defmon@r_l_bes @dvegatron
- eolmosm@kellykatehepburn wow
- haaayy_macarena@nthyun @markkawano Ai WeiWei putting UCCA CEO's feet to the fire. No spine and Fuck the Propaganda Department of the Central Committee of the CPC. #neversorry
- haaayy_macarena@aiww Please consider putting this story on Storehouse App. The conversation would be much easier to read and your pics better presented.
- tkdjessikaTotally ridiculous.
Log in to like or comment.