vanessahudgensYesterday was hella gnarly!!!!'
- ughrm@zxhvl queen of bohemian
- priscilla.arulQueen of cultural appropriation 😷
- deeptir7@maya_a21 sexualization of the bindi and hijab
- maya_a21I'm trying to understand why she's doing this @deeptir7
- _tropic_tI enjoy here persona, but there is too much culture appropriation going on here.
- thelifewishlistSHE IS QUEEN OF CULTURAL APPROPRIATION I CANT 😭😭
- brittneygonzaI feel like throwing up omg.. I love you Vanessa but this is extremely disrespectful
- cxrinnereedIt's festival guys that's what basically everyone wears to festivals, if she wanted to wear it she can
- kiahhlee22__@tropic_topic_ @brittneygonza @foodyperson she's at a festival, lots of ppl wear this to festivals. it's like "hippy" clothing. late reply, but this seriously has nothing to do with culture.
- _tropic_t@clarissaprivateee_ that's cool, was just stating facts.
- brittneygonza@clarissaprivateee_ She's offending the people of this culture because she's using them as a statement for fashion. She has no right for wearing these things which has important meaning to its people. I know it's difficult to understand, trust me I thought the same as you did before. Culture appropriation occurs when the appropriator doesn't realize the huge significance or value of the culture they are part taking it. But is suddenly viewed as "high fashioned" or "cool" when the privilege take it for themselves. It's hard to understand but it's offensive to a lot of people of this culture or religion. It includes many things.. I'm Native American and it's really offensive when someone who isn't Native American takes pieces of my culture for their fashion accessory. It sucks a lot of people do this and don't understand this but I mean what can you do.. Sorry for the rant aha just passionate over this topic💜
- kiahhlee22__@brittneygonza sorry i didnt realise it was offensive, i understand it more now. I didn't know there was that much to it. just becuase i see ppl wear that at festivals alot. ha but thankyou for telling me anyways X
- brittneygonza@clarissaprivateee_ awe no problem thank you for listening it means a ton💜💜
- eileenllopez@brittneygonza I honestly don't think she's trying to offend anyone or their culture. It's a beautiful culture and she even thinks the same. She's not trying to hurt anyone.
- brittneygonza@eileenllopez I don't think she's trying to hurt the people of this culture.. But it's still offensive. It's a really hard thing to understand and there is a bunch of controversy going on with the topic of culture appropriation.. I don't think she is purposely trying to offend anyone but she is using someone else's culture as a fashion statement. Described as "bohemian/hipster" .. But someone's culture isn't a fashion statement it's something that signifies and means a lot to its people. If you are only part taking in that culture for its fashion and momentarily use its really offensive. If she did know the importance of this culture she wouldn't be wearing it to a music festival. I hope this kinda makes sense, I really suck at explaining things aha.. Reminder that I don't think she was intentionally trying to hurt others culture but that still doesn't give her the right to appropriate it. It's really difficult to explain I can honestly write essays about this topic but please be aware that even if people don't mean to offend others culture they should still most definitely not wear it if they are not a part of that culture. It's still taken to offense to the people of that culture.
- eternalsunshine77totally agree with you @brittneygonza. you shouldn't wear something if you don't know the meaning behind it. It makes me sick to see girls wearing something of another culture simply as a fashion statement
- __katiejoy__My god, I thought it couldn't get any worse. Using a hijab as a fashion statement? Ugh @__chelsw__
Log in to like or comment.