balazsgardiEkamais Lokai, a Turkana herdsman, walks along the shore of Lake Turkana with his rifle in hand to protect his herd from a possible attack by the rival Daasanach tribe.
With the changing climate the #Turkana herdsmen, who traditionally practice a nomadic pastoralist lifestyle in the arid northwestern tip of #Kenya, struggle to cope with the harsh consequences of the prolonged drought. Across the border in #Ethiopia the #Daasanach are pushing into Turkana territory as their government recently handed most of their traditional lands over to large-scale farming developers. Competing for the fishing grounds of #LakeTurkana and the pastures around it, the rival communities are trapped in a vicious cycle of #conflict as they struggle to survive.
#Africa #drought #watercrisis #climatechange #complexemergency #nextwar #Azdarya
- caitlyn_heffnerGreat photo
- markkauzlarichBalazs, I'm really enjoying your series here. Thank you for sharing
- balazsgardiStick around @mjkauz more to come...
- markkauzlarich@balazsgardi looking forward to it. I've been around for some time following. I'm not going anywhere.
- addy0089planning future
- unbelievably_humanFollow :)
- unbelievably_humanMe :)
- huntsman5Tell him to stay alert
- royalteezoneWhat a great photo of detail. Ekamais has to do what he has to do to protect his herd.
- coccamamaGreat photos.
- yomi_g6staying @alert is staying secured. nice pics
Log in to like or comment.