nasaLandsat 8's First Year - On Feb. 11, 2013, the Landsat 8 satellite rocketed into a sunny California morning onboard a powerful Atlas V and began its life in orbit. In the year since launch, scientists have been working to understand the information the satellite has been sending back. Some have been calibrating the data—checking it against ground observations and matching it to the rest of the 42-year-long Landsat record. At the same time, the broader science community has been learning to use the new data.
The map above—one of the first complete views of the United States from Landsat 8—is an example of how scientists are testing Landsat 8 data. The strips in the image above are a result of the way Landsat 8 operates. Like its predecessors, Landsat 8 collects data in 185-kilometer (115-mile) wide strips called swaths or paths. Each orbit follows a predetermined ground track so that the same path is imaged each time an orbit is repeated. It takes 233 paths and 16 days to cover all of the land on Earth.
Image Credit: NASA/David Roy
#earth #landsat #nasa #space #science #us #unitedtstates
- krylovkrylov@maxkharti красавец, +1 :))
- azeemhanis@darling_v @samantha_ashe i know about it. Because its going to be part of the act of espionage if they do publish another country.
- darling_v@greeneyeclassic, go drop a weight on your neck.
- darling_v@azeemhanis then let's not be mad at NASA for not breaking international laws.
- weather_outsideis_weatherKinda looks like a derp face over in Idaho.
- mikeprevetteBy "complete view of the united states" you mean minus Alaska of course.
- joerusso64What about Canada ?
- pentagonbobMr. Russo, any chance your tax dollars payed for that Satellite?
- beaker_I think the fact that Hawaii is missing and no one bothered to mention it is kind of worry some. We're kind of a big deal. Sorry Canada.
- tomscavellaIf u move it up and down slowly it looks like the border is moving and purple
- coop2424Anybody else see the face in the upper left corner. . :)
- cathyf0428I see the face also. A little freaky.
- gannangster@captain_bird WOW!!!! Exciting!!!!
- gotmetIm in that picture!
- recklessfxdfThat's my home!!
Log in to like or comment.