ttocslliwOne more class photo from the fall. These are my senior Computer Science students who will be graduating this year. I'm back in Seattle now and finally getting some much-needed sleep. I'm doing a reddit ask-me-anything about teaching this past semester: http://reddit.com/r/iama/comments/1ucl11/
- omarzuriqiThey look like robots haha
- dabrams107Read your AMA. I was wondering, since it wasn't clear through your answers, you totally get that you 100% did NOT experience the average citizen's reality in the DPRK, right? Everything about your experience was meticulously crafted and monitored by a regime that has mastered the art of illusion. I mean I completely understand your motivation for seeking the position, but you totally realize that as a foreigner they would have highly orchestrated pretty much every aspect of your experience. I mean, Pyongyang itself is a show city. Only the chosen can live there and only the preselected get to attend the university you taught at.
- ttocslliw@dabrams107 I saw a very privileged slice of life. But I did see how the students and DPRK faculty around me lived. Certainly not an average citizen, but one of the many experiences that exist in the country.
- paulhenrymooreAwesome insight and photo feed, man. Really enjoyed following along. Would love to meet and buy you a beer or coffee around town while you're back if you aren't too busy! 🍻
- landlocked_wandererIt's not hard to read between the lines... Even the cultivated experience gives greater insight into the bigger picture, than no experience at all. I appreciate seeing the way in which this people group interacts with each other or with a foreigner, and how they perceive themselves, what their sensibilities are, etc. It is invaluable to those of us who may never physically touch DPRK soil. Thank you Will @ttocslliw for showing us what you see.
- paulhenrymooreVery well said, @landlocked_wanderer.
- twompammDitto what 👆said.
- ttocslliw@tduber @lanemoje kim I'll sung university is mixed enrollment, and PUST is gearing up for female enrollment in their medical school.
Log in to like or comment.