anastasiatlThe view from my belly button #5
Ljubivoje Dukanac and his Albanian wife Voiletta stand for a portrait with their children Jasmina and Milena at home in Osonica village, Central Serbia. Mixed marriages are becoming more common, especially in depopulated rural parts of the country that are effected by gender imbalance when young women often leave for the cities while men feel duty bound to stay and take care of the family and land.
#negativezero is a photographic project by Anastasia Taylor-Lind about Europe’s declining populations. To join me on my roadtrip and find out more about the project please follow the project page on facebook bit.ly/negativezero
- ramidaudThis series is fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more
- anastasiatlThank you @ramidaud Could be a good 6 months or more till I'm done yet!!
- jetmiridrizi_jetkoVery beautiful picture Anastasia, she looks sad in the pic just like it is very sad the fact that these Albanian women of over populated Albania are being sold from their families to depopulated rural areas in Serbia.
- jamesisaphotographerThere's no feeling like looking through the viewfinder and seeing the shot unfolding in front of you - if I'm this excited, I can't imagine how you feel. Great insight into this project - always looking forward to the next development...
- giofotoimgI cannot wait to see the project at its completion, keep 'em coming!
- anastasiatlHi @jetkoidrizi Violetta was not sold to her husband!!! They met through traditional family matchmaking rituals. And actually Albania, like Serbia, has negative population growth so both countries are suffering from depopulation!! But in Serbia it is men who are left behind in the villages, while in the part if Albania Voiletta comes from, it is the women who stay while me got to Italy to work! I will investigate this element of the story in the Spring.
- anastasiatl@Jetkoidrizi *men go to Italy to work!
- anastasiatl@jamesisaphotographer :-) it doesn't happen so often, but of when it does!!!! Thanks for following the project!!
Log in to like or comment.