cnnMichelle Cortez is the founder of smallwater, a grassroots disaster relief organization on Beach 96th Street in Rockaway Beach, NY. She is also one of the many surfers there; an expat from Brooklyn who escaped the madness of the city and found tranquility, harmony and community in this beach town an hour from Manhattan.
In the direct aftermath of Sandy, Michelle's love for Rockaway placed her at the heart of the relief efforts happening in every corner of the peninsula. She began to build a coalition of willing citizens from all over New York to bring supplies, shelter, and the simple necessities of life so desperately needed in the days, weeks, and months after the storm. A movement was born out of her dedication then and today, a year later, Michelle is still fighting for the people of Rockaway. She is a true hero of New York.
Photo by @keithweaver for #CNNSandy. #VSCOCAM (1 of 5)
- hong.ahn_1st like
- misseurope2012Way to go, Michelle! #SayFt #Givingback #helping #others
- ktcimeno_no_justice_pageNo justice
- silkenarmadillo@crisdevlino 🙌
- crisdevlino@silkenarmadillo @michelle_cortez ✊✊
- _tamarapetersonAmazing!! @keithweaver this is an incredible story!
- reyes_tania#awesome Michelle
- johnnymisheffCc @newartdealers @professoroops @tysonreeder1 @heathermhubbs @friendsxfamily @alwoof @paddle8 @rwuffner so proud of you @michelle_cortez !!!
- jesseashlockSo awesome Michelle!
- 56purplevWe need more Michelle Cortez in this world!!! May God continue to guide you !
- abdulkarim98It is people like her who make the world a better place.
- lookitsevan@heatherfrigginb 👆👆👆
- swiggityswugI honestly don't like your news channel, but keep things like this going to show people there is still some good left.
Log in to like or comment.