jdfunksOur idyllic home this past week, two and a half hours off the coast of Sihanoukville. Quiet bungalows, no internet whatsoever & electricity from sunset to 10pm. Every day we read, swam, lazed in hammocks, played with the jungle kittens and read and swam some more... #kohrongsamloen #travel #island #hiatushiatus
- chelshoshiOmg! Sounds amazing!
- jdfunks@paprikapapaya gosh, I admit that I can spend months researching on websites, blogs & the lonely planet travel forums. Most of the places we've been visiting these weeks has been an extension of a shorter trip I took in 2011...places is seriously daydreamed since about spending more time in and actually getting to explore. Most people in Thailand speak at least some English (tourism is the biggest industry there, so it's usually a way of life) and in Cambodia, it's a growing industry, for better and worse, and English is all over. At least a few words and some body language will get you where you need to go. Tuk Tuk drivers, for example, will know what 'bus station' means and where tourists want to go. I adore it here, in Cambodia in particular (though vegan food is way, way more easy to find in Thailand, you can def get by here with some conversing or seeking out backpacker areas and any veg restaurants). I can speak a tiny bit more Thai but knowing hello & thank you in the languages is polite, but you will be fine without knowing more. It's a beautiful country and quickly being more commercially developed so come visit soon!! 😃
- offbeatherbivoreSounds positively magical..
- jdfunks@vegan_noms this is living...
- mylittleartichokeIs it pretty easy to find wifi in Cambodia/Thailand or did you get an international plan for your phone before you left? Also, when are you ladies coming back!? So many wonderful places, I want to join you for a meal there RIGHT NOW.
- jdfunks@mylittleartichoke pretty easy! I just suspended my phone service and use my iPhone for wifi. You can normally find it in at least the lobbies of guesthouses. Much different than my last trip here. The islands it's spotty, if any, but really, that's the point if heading to an island, right? Seriously, do it! We are taking a bus to the very last leg in a few minutes.
- mylittleartichokeOverall, how long is your trip? My friend and I are trying for two weeks in January. I'd like to stay longer, but it may not be feasible with her work schedule. I'd still love to meet up when you're back if you're down! I look forward to your posts every day 😊
- jdfunks@mylittleartichoke 6 weeks! We have just over one left, alas. Feel free to email me jdfunks @ gmail . com -- of course!
Log in to like or comment.