stephsinclairpix"I came to school and told the girls 'I am about to get married,'" said Rajyanti Bairwa, 17. "I asked the girls to go to my parents and tell them not to let the marriage happen. With their help, I refused the marriage because I want to study and be something. In life I want to be a doctor." In India, where 47 percent of girls are married before the age of 18, stories like these are few and far between. But programs aimed at educating and empowering girls are beginning to bear fruit, giving these girls the confidence to say “no” to child marriage.
To celebrate their courage, this is the third in a series that started on the second international #dayofthegirl. #endchildmarriage #india #girls Photo by Stephanie Sinclair @stephsinclairpix @2young2wed @viiphoto
- dariogubTerrible! What a world she has to fight not to marry against her will!!
- nikkidhelThank you for making the time and exerting much effort for the benefit of these young girls. Their future can become much better because of people like you. God bless you! 🙏
- hollypickettpixThese girls are amazing. Love you, Steph.
- yael_weinstein👍 way to go!
- bhavishyachandraI am from india and i really appreciate your efforts to empower indian female population. Keep going. 😊
- alsamt_alnatiqU r doing the best always 👍
- dare2downGood job! Keep it up
- rajaf_1Good job....!!!
- deepac_fitnessGood job brother @stephsinclairpix
- lynnzhang829brave girl, hope your dream come true
- nikki.robertson_Yeah and I looked it up online and they marry men that are like 20+ years old
- ymvivi98good luck for the event..end children marriage
- anu_shree_sM n Indian n I really appreciate ur efforts to help girls bt I felt bad ppl sayin India as a orthodox country....I feel every country has its pros n cons.,!
- nk.carelessزعلانه ليش تتزوج وعمرها 17 طيب باليمن يتزوجون البنات بعمر 9 ... In arabs world, like Yamen , the girls are married when they are 9 years old
Log in to like or comment.