malleryavWent to see today's #banksy beaver piece in #eastnewyork. When I got there these dudes had it covered up and were charging $20 to uncover it. I started chatting with them and after a bit NYPD rolled up wanting to take photos so they uncovered it. Here they are fixing it. #banksyny #streetart #graffiti #brooklyn
- davkadeergirlThese guys are so awesome! Love it! Hope they make a ton of money! You can't just roll into poor communities, take what you want, and roll out. Good for them.
- jz040488@davkadeergirl what are they taking? public space?
- clfotoI wish I could believe that this is a performance piece but the truth is it's just a few guys trying to hustle white people out of $20 bucks. And I get it. As a life long resident of ENY I have had people from all over NYC and even more people who aren't natives of this city tell me how they would NEVER step one foot into my "hood". The people who are traveling to see this graffiti probably said the same thing at some point in time... so in a way I'm glad these guys are charging. They see the value in it and apparently people are paying so props to them for making money off of this situation. After seeing what happened/ is happening to Bushwick many ENY residents, including myself, are starting to worry about gentrification and displacement. So who can blame these guys? However this money isn't going towards any neighborhood programs so this isn't benefitting ENY in any way. It just confirms many people's preexisting believes that ENY is full of hustling thugs...
- ciscorock@clfoto Sure support the actions of people that dont contribute to society. These guys have longer arrest history than employment history..there were out there drinking, being a nuisance to the community.. And you respect that hustle?
- davkadeergirlThe real hustling thugs are the über rich art collectors and dealers, not these guys.
- bigsampsonOh look people I want to beat up.
- bigsampson"This is America, everything is for sale" actually you are wrong and are trying to make up a reason why they are doing this? FUck off tool.
- theciscok1dI love what they are doing. If you don't come to the neighborhood normally but come now to see something that makes this specific spot "hip", yeah charge the people who "don't belong".
- davkadeergirlThis must be understood in the greater context of accelerating gentrification. These people are facing the threat of losing their homes, neighborhoods, everything to the same money driven force that would chisel a Banksy piece out of their community to sell it for millions in a sickening art world industry. This is a brilliant display of that anger and even if not consciously, it's definitely a performance piece about the screwed up politics of it all.
- chriswrigleyhustlers gonna hustle
- rudyjhmaybe it's part of the art piece
- gratitudeattitudeLove the depth of the comments which consider these men heroes. Sometimes its the simple acts that become heroic, Ahmad I agree they are preserving their neighborhood, even if it goes in their pockets, they're doing it
- jorgemackRAP GAME OKLAHOMA SOONERS
- jonnozWhat? Is this an "imagine a caption" game?
- soupsoupCan't knock the hustle.
- ovonhauskeWho cares
- aurea_photographicslet them rock. Its time the hood take ownership of what is theirs. a lo foke
- malleryav@banksyny if you read these things at all check it out...
Log in to like or comment.