nasaNASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft officially is the first human-made object to venture into interstellar space. The 36-year-old probe is about 12 billion miles (19 billion km) from our sun. New and unexpected data indicate Voyager 1 has been traveling for about one year through plasma, or ionized gas, present in the space between stars.
This artist's concept depicts NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft entering interstellar space, or the space between stars. Interstellar space is dominated by the plasma, or ionized gas, that was ejected by the death of nearby giant stars millions of years ago. The environment inside our solar bubble is dominated by the plasma exhausted by our sun, known as the solar wind.
The interstellar plasma is shown with an orange glow similar to the color seen in visible-light images from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope that show stars in the Orion nebula traveling through interstellar space.
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
#voyager #space #nasa #nasavoyager #probe #solarsystem #manmade #farout
- camdacos¿Qué habrá ahí afuera?
- capturedworld@camdacos ET
- tiberiocoutinhoBrevemente, V'Ger...
- wikingbThat's one small step for Voyager 1, one giant leap for mankind.
- jjsonnynarawell done!! Voyager!!!
- _chadoh_Almost 20,000 years for Voyager to go one light year. 😪
- mrzebadeyHilarious if it was sent back "Return To Sender"
- suprahulThat's awesome
- young_sho_nuffDamn.... @_chadoh_
- mirajpatel81Most amazing and breathtaking achievement ever made.. Hats off to NASA
- 3tmnOMG ..
- celinha_ssomg mesmo
- ike_mktThat's awesome!
- volg_mij_voral_nietThis is amazing!
- kw_deleted3Why dont we send the new and better one and with more scientific instrument in?
- fernando0153This is more than nice
- seanjblairI'm with Voyager 1 the whole way @nasa Godspeed!
Log in to like or comment.