visitphillyWith over 3000 murals throughout the city, Philadelphia has been dubbed “Mural Capital of the World”. This is mainly due to the work of the Mural Arts Program, whose main office is located on Mount Vernon Street in Spring Garden. The organization had its start in 1984, as a component of the city-run Anti-Graffiti Network. Muralist, Jane Golden was hired to reach out to graffiti writers and to redirect their energies from destructive graffiti writing to constructive mural painting. The program's current goal is to “unite artists and communities... to create art that transforms public spaces and individual lives”. Bike tours of the murals of Fairmount and Spring Garden are offered every 4th Saturday, May – October. Visit muralarts.org for more details. (Photo by guest Instagrammer, @piccolotakesall)
- visitphilly#VisitPhilly #SpringGarden #PhiladelphiaNeighborhoods #igers_philly #muralartsprogram #mural
- theskimo#crappyPhillyMural not as bad as the one on Broad/Spring Garden - which is #TheWorstMuralInPhilly
- joeberner@theskimo you are crazy! The broad / spring garden is legendary.
- piccolotakesall@joeberner I gotta agree with you on that, Joe!!! 👍
- theskimo@joeberner legendarily ugly; it's an ugly sight
- eve_810@visitphilly I was recently reminded of how beautiful our city is when a friend visited and sent me a picture of a mural. It excites me that people from different states appreciate something I took for granted as a child.
- piccolotakesall@eve_810 I'm so glad to see your comment here. Thanks so much for sharing that. 😊
Log in to like or comment.