natgeoInsecticide Sprayer, Ponderosa Pine, Seeley Lake, Montana. Nothing really works to stop the spread of the mountain pine beetle in the American West. It is a force of nature like a hurricane or a tornado. However, for individual high value trees near a house or campground it is possible to spray the tree with carbamate once a year to protect the tree. It costs about $60 per tree and when a beetle tries to burrow through the bark it dies from the toxic meal.
- garmeleonCarbamate? Thats a chemical group. I wonder which one they're using.
- 1dmt..yeah sigh....
- heatherleighfAnd the tree doesn't die? That's awful :(
- grandma_cool_101Were would we be without trees...
- tubkaewUm. Let them feed their family :P
- lmnosunsetdeluxePine beetles naturally cycle out pines for a mature hardwood forest. With all this climate change assumption and chemical spraying you are all preventing a healthy ecosystem from forming. Remember 600 years ago georgia was covered with hickory oak and other mature hardwoods before they were all cut down
- wow_phillip_actually_@lmnosunsetdeluxe It's only a few trees by houses or campgrounds, not a whole forest.
- rebecowensAmen @oliver_oscar! Right on
- lmnosunsetdeluxe@olive_oscar pine forests die and fertilize hardwoods. You are thinking in terms of 10 years. Data has been collected for roughly 100 years on ecological preservation. You make a bold claim assuming that you hold authoritative knowledge regarding the devastation of a pine forest without regard to the functionality of a mature hardwood forest. There are no i told you sos about it whatsoever
- lmnosunsetdeluxeEspecially when considering the lifespan of a forest
- champdoesthat@melissacarmenn so we have acetylcholine in our bodies?
- melissacarmenn@champdoesthat yeah, but we'd need a much higher dose to do anything to us.
- spike_razzor@jamesgriff What the heck is this "raw meat" diet? Eating meat raw is extremely hard on the human digestive system, we have adapted past that. Fact is a human can left well into 100 with a balanced diet, meaning every food group and plenty of water just ask my grandfather who's few years shy of a century. As for cancer, I doubt it man made it may be something from space if anything but that's just me.
- tjkonya@candimb77 here you go!
- ihreboThis remind me of the changes in nature and we, the humans, desperatly tries to save whats left. If every tree gets sick or attacked by beetles how do we keep up? And what is the price to spead toxic in to the environment? This worries me! 😳
- anzy_lThat's mean killing beetles
- maddymceniryYour future job @sarahjanegold
Log in to like or comment.