jeredgruberAs far as mostly forgotten, unused roads go, they don't come much better than the old Gavia road. A long, dark, cold tunnel has replaced the cliff hugging ribbon that once claimed the lives of 54 soldiers when their truck crashed to the valley far below. It's worth the visit, if only to imagine what the Gavia must have been like when it was dirt and barely a car wide.
- _cooperrayoh my god. to ride that road...
- judythewolfso good! so good! love that picture!
- vincemullenGavia from Ponte di Legno? I'll be going up that in 3 weeks, cannot wait!
- handlebarcoffeeThis was the Cima Coppi when I raced up it in the Giro d'Italia 2006. Beautiful photo, captures it well. #labellavita
- rafomolAwesome picture Jered!
- eivissastefdone first time in 1987 ;) most of it no tarmac. great Gavia
- jeredgruberI have to say - I'm super envious @eivissastef.
- eivissastefJered, no need. Gavia is still today so beautiful! for me in the top ten. when your in the Pyrenees and have time, cycle the "route de corniches" not at all spectacular in the sense of views. a very narrow little road what goes from Bompas (D20 all to the end, then it joins the D613) to Aix les Thermes, no traffic at all, the road slopes around mountain sides in a very nice way.
- greg.goldsteinI remember doing this brutal climb the day after my international flight. Jet lag, steep grades, narrow roads, thin air, freezing temperatures, and beautiful views.
Log in to like or comment.