joshuacoganTwo young #monks fill oil butter lamps on a rainy day, while older monks are at the temple. One fills the lamps with the melted butter and the other places the wicks inside. The lamps are significant in #buddhist tradition and serve to create beautiful glows inside the temples. Literally using Yak butter to create them, they give off a very strong smell when lit. We finally got to slow down enough to spend some time watching life at the temples, and some proper understanding of how faith and tradition anchor Bhutanese society. For myself, I can say that this has been a profound experience. The power of #culture and #community permeate everything here, and serve as the main driver of social choices. While individualism that we value in the west is often frowned upon here, the idea of group well being has many benefits, especially in the long term. #religion #spirituality #buddhism #bhutan #travel #documentary
- megan_laurel@agentcallisto :)
- kitten_4evaBeautiful. How sweet
- idfctimInstagram featured it 😱
- quanduongthis is beautiful shot
- samhurulean@joshuacogan There are things in the world so beautiful that they just want to make you cry out of happiness. I hope to be able to make journeys like you do someday as an anthropologist and find all these beautiful moments this world has to offer. For now I will follow your journey from here, thank you for sharing everything and I hope I get the chance to do it myself someday.
- prettymya107Oh that's cute
- _hazariahmajor heartache, what a terribly beautiful photo !
- louiseljThanks for sharing, beautiful
- kuenden07Surprised to see a post about my country. Many people have no idea about its existence.
- k_maoSuch a beautiful photo!
Log in to like or comment.