drandallblytheRest in peace, Chi Cheng. I just read about this. I never met Chi, & got to know the Deftones personally after he had already been hospitalized, but his music was already dear to me in a very personal way. The first night my future wife & I spent together, we listened to "White Pony" on repeat over and over, just laying there in my crappy bed in my small room I had rented in a filthy punk house with my friends. It was all very innocent, and there was no hanky-panky that night (or for many more afterwards- we took our time before we were ever intimate). I was not a Deftones fan at that point, nor was I in love with that woman- I had come out of a very toxic relationship six months before with my ex-wife (it was both of our faults- it takes two to tango), & my daughter had died a few months before we broke up. I was an extremely damaged man, I didn't have much hope, nor was I planning on ever being married again. It was a very sad time in my life. But that night in that tiny crappy bed I began to feel happy again, & to feel as if life may have something to offer me after all the heart break I had just been through. I believe I started to fall in love with the woman who is now my wife that evening, and I know for a fact I fell in love with the Deftones that night. So thanks Chi for being part of my new life and the beginning of my healing. This is what music is to me- the moments we begin to LIVE. This mortal coil has been shed by Chi, but his music & his energy is still very much ALIVE. I don't care if this sounds sappy- this is my truth, & I have no other way to live but by it. God speed on your journey brother, & thanks & love to you once again.
- seamus.jShit happens when least prepared. Just like today. @drandallblythe
- mareyes84#RESPECT #RIPCHICHENG
- ftonyvIn right there with you. White Pony literally changed the way I looked at music. #ripchicheng
- jonez.eI loves this memory. Thank you for sharing. I too will miss and remember Chi in a similar fashion.
- notthejaduyouknowThank you for sharing.
- evilfantasiesNever new you lost a child. I really hope you write a book.
- jennilynn4120thank you for sharing, thus was so beautiful to read. RIP Chi, #onelove4chi #deftonesforlife
- thejoshchopAgreed, with @jessilee138 The life you have/had is tremendously interesting.. #RIPChi
- neronian_Goddamn, dude that got me fucked up and I'm crying. The love that came out of Chi spreads to all and makes wonders. Randy this was a beautiful tribute, I'm sure Chi would be very thankful.
- coffeeandmetalYour stories are very powerful. You're my favorite instagrammer
- praticoncernThat's amazing. Deftones for life. RIP Chi
- froggyartOne love ❤ R.I.P Chi
- abyemt@grunje checalo
- lqdsnk666Awesome words.. R.i.p. chi...
- fireleftashesWow. Your words here brought a tear to me eye. This is a wonderful tribute to Chi.
- v_lokollomissed chi so much
- aaron60dChi and the Deftones have always held a very special place in my heart and mind. Thank you for recognizing this.
- bloodfrozenThat was amazing. You're an awesome person. ✌️
Log in to like or comment.