natgeoBLM is gathering almost 900 horses that have little food in the Nevada desert. Cattor Livestock Roundup Inc out of Nephi, Utah is rounding up the horses with helicopters. They are shipped to Palomino Valley to be sorted and inspected. Mares and foals are marked so they can be reunited. To see the full photo please visit www.facebook.com/olsonfarlow @natgeo @thephotosociety @wildhorsephotos #horses #latergram
- ian_mcweeneyDamn people calm yo tita
- sotongliarThis is perfect shot...
- blueminatorObvious troll is obvious. Great shot and I love the work you are doing.
- elizabeth_hueyLove this one ! shadows are miraculous @dontpaintmywingsblack
- astral_koala@tiannakennedy hi cowboy
- kkntntWhile it's an interesting photo, it's a sad story. Watch the YouTube videos. They run the horses down during summer months and during foaling season. I live in No. Nevada and see the wild horses daily. Damaging the ecosystem? Let's ask the BLM about those cattle grazing agreements. The horses are constantly on the move. The cattle destroy the land they are on and then moved to another section. The BLM makes the public stand so far away that you need a 400mm lender to catch the action. I have friends who have witnessed the round ups and have seen horses chased to death, stallions drenched in sweat and mares separated from their babies. There are better ways to maintain the population.
- soniknik@juzzo27 - They aren't starving. Have you seen these wild horses in person? I have. I have helped break in over 20 wild mustangs which were rounded up by the BLM in order to find them homes instead of ending up at auction and slaughter. These mustangs were some of the most fit and healthy horses that I have ever handled. Although I don't agree with rounding up these horses I would rather see that they find proper homes instead of being slaughtered. There is no legitimate reason to round up these horses.
- lostinlocationsAll of these roundups need to be documented and shown so people can see how awful they can be.
- netrunneurJe trouve cette photo incroyable, elle est prenante!
- juzzo27Hahah you all get so worked up so easy!! @natgeo isn't rounding the horses up!! This is a great pic!
- vttrekkerStarving huh? So the company that rounds them up is really kind hearted and totally not in it for the money then? The BLM involvement immediately raises an eyebrow. Something's off here.
- horribowl@vttrekker Exactly. The horses are dehydrated cuz the blm fenced off their water holes. "On accident of course" then they are slaughtered. "Because the BLM thought that the slaughterhouse was buying 500 horses for pets"
- fredmortensen@heyitsomid skills
- heyitsomid@dyavromm holy smokes.
- a.mosley_prodUh oh nat geo didn't do their homework! I'm from northern Nevada and witness these round ups every year.... It's wrong inhumane... When you see them in person they are the most peaceful animals not to mention most of them are strong and healthy looking. It's all in the money and needs to be stopped... Fuck these posts promoting such foul behavior... Nat geo u suck for this.
- jkpostrnThese horses are healthy. They are rounded up by BLM separated from their families stuffed into transport trucks after they have been waiting for who knows how long, without water and sent to areas for purchase by the meat market that slaughters them and ships the meat to Europe!! Call your congressmen and senators ask them to pass the SAFE act and to back the wild horse bill. You must ask and be active. These horses have every right to the land. It is greed and lies that runs this terrible slaughter of an American icon!!
Log in to like or comment.