natgeoThe first day of Spring for me is always a hopeful sign of change and renewal. That's ever apparent in the halls of National Geographic magazine—stories blossom, are nurtured and brainstormed to the point that they are fruit hanging from our office walls. Senior photo editor Pamela Chen (@chenpamela) and the portraiture of extraordinary photographer Martin Schoeller (@martinschoeller) have teamed up to show us the changing face of America. Over 9 million people in the United States identify themselves as multiracial, and multiracial children are the fastest growing youth group in the country. Number which I find pretty amazing since interracial marriage was illegal in 16 states until a landmark Supreme Court decision in 1967 ended race-based legal restrictions on marriage. Their story is now in layout and will appear in the October 2013 issue of NGM. Photo by @kengeiger
- mapleandminnie"until the color of a man's skin, is of no more significance than the color of his eyes..." - Robert Nesta Marley Can't wait to read this article!
- jennifer_lim"For many people, it comes as a surprise that racial categorization schemes were invented by scientists to support worldviews that viewed some groups of people as superior and some as inferior." Racialequitytools.Org
- jennifer_limRace is a social concept
- wabberjockI read an opinion some years back that if everyone was required to marry a person of a different race, within a generation or two the whole race thing would be over.
- jennifer_limOn World Poetry Day: " “My skin is kind of sort of brownish pinkish yellowish white. My eyes are greyish blueish green, but I'm told they look orange in the night. My hair is reddish blondish brown, but its silver when its wet, and all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.” Shel Silverstein
- jason_troActs 10:34 At this Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.
- jason_troMy wife is 1/4 black, 1/2 German and 100% BEAUTIFUL
- enchante@barbarou my dream guy. Bottom row on the right. 💋
- _sh33sha@3buoys_and_a_gull 😘
- fujiipicsHappa kids
- friendsdont_lie@tevahjones its you!!!!!
- seimone@alexanderfortson @ronantonio HAPAS ARE GOING TO RULE THE WORLD! 😍
- kazured5875so proud! my mother is from Jamaica and my father a New York german-jew. we've come a long way!!
- thuystyle@kalenaranoa HAPA love
- kalenaranoa@thuystyle @kailaniranoa mixed babies are beautiful!❤
- vrud@karaminder front and center!
- kimsmith1976@kimsmith1976 that is my baby girl top and center with her head cut off. Can't wait to see it!
Log in to like or comment.