ed.templetonAll the tourists do it, Im no different. Antwerp, Belgium. The city got its name from a legend involving a mythical giant called Antigoon who lived near the river. He exacted a toll from those crossing the river, and for those who refused, he severed one of their hands and threw it into the river. Eventually, the giant was slain by a young hero named Brabo, who cut off the giant's own hand and flung it into the river. Hence the name Antwerpen, "Ant" means "hand" and from the Dutch "werpen" (= to throw.) (paraphrased from Wikipedia) #antwerp #belgium
- ta2o17Epic epic.
- russpopeHand job @tempster_returns
- tim_f8@tempster_returns you need to find a bitching cane when in Europe.
- elibroccoliThat's metal.
- minibellieWelcome back in Antwerp... Hope you guys have a great time! :)
- jamesnthegntpchThanks for the context and mythology.
- douglasbellsrevengeEd is a boss
- literecordingsThere's also another story about it :"There is some Antwerp legend about a giant and a man who fight, the man wins and cuts of the gaints hand. So there is a statue to commemorate this, and the chocolate shops sell little chocolate hands.
What many people (including Belgians) may not know is the double meaning this has due to the havoc Belgium/King Leopold wreaked in the Congo during the colonial era: Belgian soldiers in the Congo were rewarded for bringing back the severed hands of the African people they forced into slavery, harvesting rubber for Belgium's economy."
- gregdiaz_You can do it, put your back into it
- guns_rvkHigh 5
- ed.templeton@djlovesick that's pretty crazy. Thanks!
- pinchicabronaThanks for the details. I wish more ppl would write about their photos in as great a detail.
- blondjahmsblondwhat a cool tale
- sarsarhi@glossysquare :)
- wizard_stuffthat is a big pat on the back!!! GOOD GAME?
- jonasolawiehager@tempster_returns heal well
- monicawashere@tempster_returns wow look how far your leg has come in healing! So fortunate - from a couch adventure to a Belgium adventure😊
- alexcoincidenceI've been there and had no idea ahaha
Log in to like or comment.