benlowyRockaway Beach, NY | November 6, 2012 Grace Toland, emigrated from Ireland in 1958. She lost everything when the Sandy storm surge destroyed her home. "Do you like my hat? I love it. I got it from the church since I lost everything else. I sleep in it since I have no heat... I have to vote, it's my most important American right." #photography #photojournalism #documentary #mobilephotography #portrait #sandy #hurricanesandy #rockawaybeach #voting #election2012
- diekespinosaAwesome portrait man.
- ieatcarsWow. Gets me a little teary eyed. Awesome.
- t_h_e_d_a_v_i_dIt's tough right now but each & everyone of these folks affected by Sandy will come out stronger for having made it through. 👍 Thanks for sharing their stories 🙏✌
- clifwrightNow that's patriotism. Good luck to her and thanks for sharing.
- suburbancraftyBeautiful. To everyone who thinks their vote doesn't matter, or who just can't be bothered to vote, take a good long look at her and get out to your polling place.
- chinaski_fotoBeautiful despite the sad story...
- melodyinfocusBeautiful on so many levels! 💛
- rdpzThis series is so heart-wrenching. Thank you @benlowy and bless you Grace and yes I like your warm hat!
- joannetagThank you for sharing this
- bernie_345My prayers go out to all....
- lackofintellect@stewarthaddock and @rebarumpf my hat makes another appearance
- rebeccarumpf@lackofintellect did you read what this woman said about her hat? heart breaking/warming all at once. @benlowy I love how you tell the stories with your pictures -- the newyorker photog who shot her either didn't get as much of the story or left it out
- fotobluzzGreat moment!!!!!
- bridgetmakThanks for sharing your photos and the stories behind them. This lady has such a strong will and spirit.
Log in to like or comment.