thenorthfaceSelf portrait from 8800 meters on the SouthEast Ridge of Everest. Snapshot taken on 26 May 2012, the calmest day of the 2012 pre-monsoon climbing season. I had given up the day before. Our team had put 5 members and seven Sherpa and one Sherpani on the summit. Tired and content I gave my Himalayan Mitts to a Sherpa friend. I was done. And then... the wind abated. By sunset the tent was quite. At ten all was still. Motivation struck and by midnight I was dressed and ready to go. Sam, my tent mate, knew I was up to something. Something wild, crazy and spur of the moment. Kris and Hils shared some coffee and at 12:40 I set out, alone and happy. My late start ensured I would not encounter others on the fixed lines. Sunrise on the Balcony, Makalu & Kanchenjunga to the east and the steady respiration of my lungs are tiny vignettes of a morning spent walking on the roof of the world. It all seemed like a dream until I hugged Dave Hahn, an old climbing friend. We had summited 13 years ago on the 17th May in bad weather. Neither of took a picture as we were up against the wall. Standing together, on the summit by chance and luck, we laughed at the irony of it all. Life is a gift and these moments are diamonds. We will cherish this forever. Thanks to my Sherpa friends, our top drawer team and my family for understanding and supporting my passion. #latergram #natgeo #oneverest #thenorthface @conradclimber
- apz107Amazing and inspiring!
- emilyaharrington@conradclimber thanks again for everything, you're an inspiration to us all!!
- kayvangabbayI am overwhelmed and so inspired yet feel so minimal at the magnitude of your achievement . I love and respect all of you and your team on this accomplishment. Power Inspiration and Leadership are all possibilities to achieve climbing the and reaching the tip of the world. Bless y
- aeyaeykayDeep respect!! I have followed your entire expedition this season and I'm in total awe at your patience and wise calls every now and then. Big inspiration for us!
- tamara_wickstromWow - incredible inspiring.
- jimmyhartmanBig up radster!
- bunny.pantsWow you gave up your Himilayan Mitts?! ⛄
- staceycarrickThe view behind you is amazing!!
- jimmy_chinYou da man Radster....I knew u were up to something too. Guess its from ten years of climbing with ya. Proud.
- katieramage1You inspire us all Conrad. Well done.
- myjune21This is such an inspiration! ❤❤❤
- campocaballeroNice save mr Anker. Sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt
- linedurupThat most be the most amazing thing ever❤ happy to hear the weather cleared up, so go got the chance to go😃
- shoedorkBravo Conrad!
- p_chanLots of respect
- bootz_ylectricGood stuff Conrad! Climbers like you keep everest interesting. You deserve that summit. #climbon
- keolanihWow astonishing!!! @kayleighhowell @heatherkfinn @cf09pc @kmritchie ....fucking insane
- littlemountain_@keolanih definitely gives us an example of a happy outcome!
Log in to like or comment.