geologistonboardLatest pics of the damage and clean-up efforts at Oroville Dam spillway, northern #California ...sure is nice to have full reservoirs again though
#californiageology #northerncalifornia #orovilledam #orovilledamspillway #geologicalengineering #ontheroadagain #featherriver #damconstruction #californiareservoirlures #oroville #northernsierra #sierranevada #californiarivers #water #floodcontrol #flood #erosion
- laynewadeDo you know what the base rock is under the spillway? Limestone? Excellent photo of it - 3rd one, I think!
- geologistonboard@laynewade it looks like the commonly occurring grey foothill melange belt limestone pods ..but I'm not 100% sure. The geologic map says volcanics but it's not detailed enough to show all the small pods of varying lithologies that could also be present. I'm going up later this year. If I can get close enough to look at it, I'll let you know!
- jim49_From the initial photo it reminds me of the sludge ponds after the EPA pulled the plug at an abandoned mine
- atomicwandererWould love too snipe for gold in those cracks😃
- rockmaven56The scale of the damage is really hard to grasp!
- terp_killahThe gold there must be ridiculous
- laynewade@geologistonboard I'd love that - been wondering ever since first seeing the exposed rock. So incredible seeing the soil deposits on top of the bedrock - the foundation for California Agriculture!
- magicstonejewelry_I wonder if they would let me pick through the washout rocks..... man that is major catastrophic damage.
- geologistonboard@terp_killah maybe ...or it's all settled behind the dam 😫
- geologistonboard@laynewade ya I was looking at that soil thickness too. When I lived in the Central Valley my redwoods grew so fast. Now I'm in coast range sandstone and the growth is noticeably slower and I have a healthy mulch and steady drip of water etc. ...but I did resurrect an ailing camphor tree with heavy mulch and frequent doses of my lapidary sludge😁
- terp_killahGreat day to scuba 😁
- av_elva_solWow what color!
- geologistonboard@terp_killah ..but you'll find so much gold you'll never make it back up🤣
- terp_killahI didnt think about that
- terp_killahReplace ur lead with gold :3
- terp_killahFuck dive weights haha
- fabsieteHi, excuse me, do you have LinkedIn?
- mad.geoscientistIs that basement rock? Anybody know what it is? It looks metamorphic
- email@example.com you're not the first to ask. Geologic map just says 'volcanics'. This is in/near the Smartville Complex area, ophiolites mixed with ocean seds. Could be limestone or serpentine pod or volcanic as map says... I'll post more when I go up there
- pazigzeIncredible! 😳 thanks you are ok dear Anna Laura
Log in to like or comment.