recobklynThis is a tub grinder. This is where large diameter Tree trunks get turned into wood chips. We are trying to keep people from needing these by utilizing NYC urban trees. Today we will keep a dozen more downed trees from meeting this fate. Sorry @vermeercorp.
#tubgrinder #saynotowoodchips #trashtotreasure #sawmilllife #lumberjack #logging #urbanlumber #urbanforest #sawmillbusiness
- doe_steveWhile I totally support reuse of urban trees like you do these machines serve a very useful purpose in the reclaiming of cut trees. These are typically used for grinding the stumps. Not the limbs/trunks. The stump grinding are reused as mulch to control erosion on construction sites. Before the invention of these machined stumps were often buried and filled up landfills. Now this material is reclaimed and put to good use.
- jmgwoodcraftingI love the message here! I too try and save trees from what I would consider a fate worse than death: winding up as mulch or firewood. Great post!
- jharrold64Keep up the good work!
- recobklyn@doe_steve Yes, many stumps and root balls are chipped in tub grinders, but in urban areas like NYC where there are no yards to store and sell logs in, trees in their entirety are immediately disposed much of the time.
- xnitramThe Lorax has spoken.
- doe_steve@recobklyn thanks for clarification on that. I live outside urban areas where tree clearing and stumps are in massive #. Wood is harvested for firewood or timber so no waste there. Bark is used for mulch products. Stumps were the biggest disposal problem. Keep up the good work. Love what you do.
- eric.johnston@jorgenharleblacksmith 💪🏽
- hudsonvalleyreclaimedAlways makes me sad when big ancient tree trunks are chopped up😟
Log in to like or comment.