lolascocinaHow many of you use a molcajete at home? My tía gave me one as a wedding gift and I cherish it.
MOLCAJETE (from the Nahuatl molcaxitl): a stone tool similar to a mortar and pestle, used to grind spices and ingredients. Like the metate, it is an essential part of Mexican culture and is one of the oldest domestic tools in the Americas - as old as the domestication of corn.
- melrigtrup@lolascocina how do you tell if one is really authentic? My husband and I bought one when we were in Mexico but it seems cheaply made.
- xuxazuzuI have one that was my great 👵🏽 granny's...and then used by my grandma. The rock is even worn down but I love knowing their hands 🖐🏾🖐🏾used it. I hope to get into using it someday!
- tangentqueenLove love love the combo of insight, history and personal memory all in one!!!
- lolascocina@sololishop I love heirloom gifts like that.
- lolascocina@glorv1 I have a little collection, too.🙊
- lolascocina@nads_lashers On my way. I'll need a flying nacho when I get there.🚗💨
- lolascocina@flanandapplepie I know, I love the flowers on it.
- lolascocina@spanglishspoon When I'm using it, it still look pretty on my counter with avocados and fresh chiles in it.
- lolascocina@saartista The one we have that was my great grandmother's is the same way! It has the indentations from her fingers.
- lolascocina@adrianasbestrecipes Sí, ¿verdad? Me encantan las flores.
- lolascocina@vero__5 I have no idea.
- lolascocina@huerasloves I have only seen this style in Oaxaca.
- lolascocina@melrigtrup @chicagirl68 @bilingualbeyoutiful There are certain towns in Mexico that specialize in making molcajetes. Most of the ones I've seen in Mexico are out of volcanic rock. You typically have to grind a little rice + water before using it to remove any residual rock dust.
- lolascocina@xuxazuzu Can you will it to me? I will post my aunt Stella's salsa recipe that she makes in the molcajete soon! It's really good.
- lolascocina@tangentqueen Why, thank you.🤓 I love the way you described it so eloquently.
- saartista@lolascocina what a beautiful mexican tradition for our familias.
- kmfcaMy mama has great grandma's molcajete and I look forward to the day I inherit it properly and I can place it proudly in my kitchen. I've already made some great guacamole in it. 😊
- lolascocinaYes, until then you can enjoy making things in it with your mama! @kmfca
- lolascocina@saartista I agree!
Log in to like or comment.