bugquestionsFound this beautiful, iridescent, Giant-Butterfly Moth (#Castniidae) last night!
The common name is terrible. It's a moth
#moth #notabutterfly #lepidoptera #iridescence #ecuador #ecuadormegadiverso #cloudforest #cloudforestecuador #cloudforest
- mnochisaki14Castniomera sp
- vargas.sergio020Telchin (= Amauta) sp. In fact "butterflies" is not a monophyletic group, is just a common name.
- firstname.lastname@example.org Butterflies are a monophyletic group. It's moths that aren't
- vargas.sergio020@bugquestions No. Hedylidae (Papilionoidea) is a "moth" family between de true butterflies Regier et al (2013), Kawahara et al (2014) Mitter et al (2016). So what is a butterfly?
- email@example.com I'm gonna go catch up on that reading =)
Log in to like or comment.