ourmontessorilifeMontessori Practical Life: Drink Station
Does your child have access to water for pouring?
Will they just spill it everywhere?
Have you tried but they just make a mess?
Are your kids just not capable of doing it because they're crazy or all over the place?
Do we assume the same thing for learning to walk?
Oh we've tried but he just falls all over the place. Oh if we let her she would just crash into everything.
If children are to learn self discipline, we must give them an environment in which to practice.
We positively encourage children to reach traditional milestones (like walking) knowing they will get there and it will be a huge achievement.
Maybe we just need to change our perspective of the little milestones like pouring.
- ourmontessorilife@playfullyplatedpalate yes. Glass/porcelain is always preferred in keeping with 2 of the main principles of Montessori: Real child sized tools and natural materials over plastic.
- ourmontesstoryLove this comparison! Always enjoy a good shift in perspective.
- brecklynepDo you start drinking from a cup before they can pour? We practice the cup drinking regularly, but not the pouring. When should I introduce that part?
- meghansheffieldThis side by side made me giggle! Good one!
- ourmontessorilife@brecklynep yes. A child can drink from a cup from birth. Pouring can happen from 12 months.
- summerplayshouseBeautiful Heron picture!
- fromteachertomamaLove the comparison to learning to walk! 😂
- brecklynepWonderful! Thanks @ourmontessorilife
- mama_and_thebabesCan you share where that little pitcher from? And this post is so encouraging ... beautiful!
- ourmontessorilife@mama_and_thebabes I've mentioned it in the above comments. It's from Montessori Services.
- mama_and_thebabesYou @ourmontessorilife ah! I didn't scan all the comments first .... thank you so much!
- diycorporatemomI love this!
- dinogalactic.montessoriAmen 🙏😊
- missionmontessoriGreat perspective 😊
- practicallyhippieI started doing a drink station for my 2yo and it's so great for both of us! It's no longer an emergency when he needs water and he loves the independence. We use a tin base that is the perfect toddler size and glass cups from IKEA.
- tazza_rogersAdded to my long screen shot list of 'to do'. So in love with being a mum and incorporating the montessori model into our life. (Can't believe I'm a traditional school teacher some days 😢)
Log in to like or comment.