americanantiquarianToday on the AAS blog we offer a look at some recently acquired photographs depicting American printing offices, printers, and presses. The images also illustrate the rapid technical developments of photography between 1870 and 1920. This 1890's photograph shows the Worcester office of the "Österns Weckoblad," a Swedish language paper founded in 1890 to serve the city's large population of Swedish immigrants. You can read more at pastispresent.org. #photography_aas #aasnewspapers #swedes #photographichistory
- april_polkadotsparrowFascinating to look at. For example, does the electric lamp in the upper left have a spot for a candle? Is that what the plate with what looks like a spike is for?
- chcogalDid the majority of Swedes come to work at Norton Company?
- kristenahartmanThis is great!!
- americanantiquarianMay be a gas fixture @april_polkadotsparrow - that is the spout where the flame would be!
- americanantiquarianYes @chcogal and other manufacturers in town.
- delpix87How long was the newspaper published? 🇸🇪🇺🇸
- treatwitchI bet @bayviewprintingco would dig
- typeapressI'm fourth generation newspaper family and own my own letterpress shop with a press we bought in the 40s. I love printing history...love the post!
- annielauriesbooksLove this one!!``
- pittockmansionLoving this look back in time! Henry Pittock, the entrepreneur who built Pittock Mansion, was a typesetter who gained ownership of The Oregonian newspaper in exchange for back wages - we have some neat historical photos of their production offices in our collection!
- americanantiquarianThe paper folded in 1926 @delpix87.
- americanantiquarianFantastic @typeapress -- we often find that ink runs in the family!
- americanantiquarianOooo!! Possible to post one @pittockmansion ???
- bluepictsHard to get a shot like that facing into the light! Love it!!!!
- pittockmansion@americanantiquarian we just posted a really neat photo of The Oregonian's press room in 1892
- americanantiquarianWe saw it! And reposted @pittockmansion - hope that is OK!!!
Log in to like or comment.