107gardenPlenty of this sorta situation floating around and many of us know how ridiculous and just wrong it is. We've seen the screen shots of businesses like Whole Foods being called out. Anyway.
What's cool is that Dale pointed these out to me plus it was right above oranges that if you look carefully are 89cents each. His concern was the price.
Meanwhile how much soda pop could ya buy for 3 bucks. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
Then Dale noticed the coatings sign in the produce section and was like 😳. We didn't even get to pesticides, organic, regional... There are plenty of battles with all this and not everyone is able to mount a multi-front war. I just wish that things were a a lot different sometimes. Like a good clean piece of fruit to feed a young growing brain.
Yes, there are other choices in many places but often it can be easy to forget that not everyone has the same access or information or open eyes or open wallet.
#zerowaste #organic #accesstogoodcleanfood #sustainable #permaculture #107garden #organicfood #zerowastehome #zerowastefood #zerowastelifestyle
- 107garden@ecobombshell I hear you! It's sad to see a completely useless trend get traction meanwhile we are still trying to nix things like plastic straws. 🌱
- cultivatorkitchen@107garden so true!!! Baby carrots are the worst...they tumble them in a chlorine solution to keep them from browning, yuck 😝
- email@example.com Looks like oranges require special skills and tools to peel. 🍊
- 107garden@sustainablelivingpodcast I hope not! We gotta strive to stop some of this hyper food packaging. This is so far beyond paper or plastic debate then understanding you've gotta use that canvas bag hundreds of times for it to be Earth sensitive choice. 🌍
- 107garden@jwetherhold And pre-boiled. I don't have time to boil AND peel eggs. Meanwhile some person in a conference room detailing the bottomline profits on individually packaged cooked/peeled eggs. 🥚
- 107garden@moatcottage Yup, so wrong! 🤦🏾♀️
- 107garden@maeinwonderland Can't disagree with your response!
- trangimadeI know how you feel and being parent of a young child, It's really challenging most of the time. But just have to keep on believing what we believe and fight for it.
- rogue_gnomeSo frightening that there is a generation of kids out there that will have no concept of peeling an orange or prepare food. Not to mention the simple developmental benefits of using their hands to do these simple tasks....
- 107garden@trangimade Yes, we must keep up the fight! 💫 When my now grown daughter was little, breast feeding, baby wearing, and organic food were "weird" so plenty has shifted but now we have some new and at times awkward battles. 🌱
- 107garden@rogue_gnome That's so scary! It used to be simple battles like peanuts grow in the soil not on trees...🌱
- shopthistle@107garden My gosh.. this discussion I could go on and on. My kids love peeling oranges 🍊 and the wonderful smell of peeling an orange- so sad to have that taken away!! And packaged precooked eggs?!? Cause it's so hard to hardboil some eggs and stick em in a thermos for the kiddos? I recently learned about wood pulp in stuff like grated cheese too! We all need to slow down and think before we grab, it only takes minutes to prepare something healthy.
- 107garden@shopthistle I'm a fan of action towards what we want/need around us. Helping others learn. Often if we pay attention to our wallets rather than convenience we find ourselves with good, whole, healthy, clean foods and less trash. It only takes a couple minutes to whizz up some nut butter. One ingredient in a jar that you reuse and no questions about crazy private labeled nut butters...even organic products packaged under private labels need close scrutiny. I've never been able to wrap my head around packaged grated cheese, boiled eggs, chopped onions, or other such oddities. 🍊 We can follow the money to all of these conveniences and if we withhold our financial support a shift will take place.
- urbansouleI agree with everyone here, we don't own a microwave, TV or even a toaster, my kids thought it was weird as the grew up, but they can cook everything from scratch and love it, my daughter is 16 and cooks all the time, plus we grow some food, so they know where food comes from and what to buy and what not to buy.
- urbansouleI do have a funny story about oranges though, I bought three big bags of mandarins, to make fresh juice, I peeled them all, had them ready in a bowl, went to my art studio for about an hour, came back in to make the juice, my son, daughter and the Mr. ate all them!!! It was like 20lbs of mandarins! Gone! They thought I pre-peeled them all for them to eat...... I did make them go to the store to replace them... and I made them peel them too!
- 107garden@urbansoule It's awesome for young people to learn to cook, shop, and be connected with their food.
- 107garden@urbansoule That's a terrific story! 🍊🍊🍊We like to "prepackage" as my daughter calls it...bottles and mason jars filled up with juices or water ready to grab and go, boiled eggs, snacks in portion sizes in fridge ready to enjoy. Question: Whose turn is it to "make prepackaged water"? We can make our own convenience just by planning ahead. 🌿
- emithingySo much unnecessary plastic waste
- 107garden@emithingy And a whole bunch of money for something that's simply not required. 🍊
Log in to like or comment.