itserinmorrisPrinting photos for the gallery wall I'm putting together in our new house & I stumbled across an album that brought back a flood of memories 💓 I'm so grateful our sweet photographer captured these fleeting moments I had to nurse my baby. This was just a week or two after Weston was born. I was in so much mind-numbing pain in this picture, I remember it was hard to sit up. After an intense, traumatic birth & long surgery that followed, being separated that whole first day, latch issues, supply issues, a tongue tie plus thrush, breastfeeding was rocky. My doctor said my body went into shock from pain & couldn't really produce milk. I would pump & pump only to get about 1/2-1 ounce each time. We supplemented with formula. I remember feeling shameful & heartbroken as I walked down the Target aisle with a plastic formula box the first time. We did mostly formula & I pumped all I could, under 1 ounce each time, for 3 months & finally chose to stop. I needed to be "okay" emotionally for my boy, not stressed. I realized I was sitting pumping when I could have been holding him & bonding. I did what was best for us. And that looked like bottle feeding! And it has been beautiful & he's more than thrived & we are extremely bonded and close. I'm so over the mom shaming, you guys. Breastfeeding mamas, formula-feeding mamas, mamas who do both -- you are rockstars. Feed your babies, mommas! No shame! However that works for *you.* I'm forever grateful we had those few weeks of breastfeeding and I'll cherish the memories forever. If you're a mama or mama to be, know that you are the best, God-given mom for your little one. I'm writing some blog posts I'll share soon about our birth & early days experiences because I want to be a real, honest, truthful voice on motherhood that empowers women - I see so many "perfect" easy-looking mama moments, birth stories, nursing experience online...& I want to be honest about the struggles & joys! Because life is beautiful, messy, hard & magical, complicated & good, & there is so much power in telling our stories. #FEDisbest 📷: @ally_michele #motherhood #formulafeeding #breastfeeding #honestmotherhood #nojudgement #mynameismama
- nicoleweiderBeautiful words. ❤️👼🏼🙏🏼
- mrsapickardI love hearing your honesty and encouragement to other moms, specifically in this area! It encourages me more than you know! I can relate to your experience in many ways, and it's so uplifting to see you, and the moms in your comments, stand alongside other moms in support of their journey! Thank you, thank you, thank you ❤️
- beaumonta1I love how perfectly imperfect your story is and that you've chosen to share it with us
- plantednotburiedThank you for this!! I had to exclusively pump. I did it for 6 months before I finally caved. It is so hard being a new, first time mom but it is even harder when you don't live up to what people says is best or the norm. Sharing your heart will make so many mommas realize they aren't alone.
- maierkimmyThis brings tears to my eyes because I can relate and I always love and appreciate your honesty, you beautiful soul you!!
- andreagracewinshipAmen!!! I so appreciate your transparency with all of your new mom struggles! They were an unbelievable encouragement to me during my own postpartum recovery!!
- meganewestmorelandyes, sweet friend! yes 💕
- heathergrissomYes, beautiful and real. Blessings
- plumbwornoutI went through a very difficult, non-traditional pregnancy and delivery that ended in me having an unplanned for C-section and surgery recovery. It's birth stories like yours that gave me inspiration through it all. Thanks for sharing your story and being so open. ❤️
- charlieandlu@Margaret.e.pennington thought of you
- i.m.stephanieYou're not alone sweet girl. God bless you for posting your struggles to help others. 💕
- aprilaknightYes!! I've always had to supplement- and I've felt many of the things you write about. 💛💛
- bornbelovedAmen!! The thing that matters most is the depth of your love for your son, the prayers you've prayed for him, and being present for him. Those are beautiful and precious things, the rest is just details.
- itserinmorris@bornbeloved sooooo true!!! ❤️
- thirstyleafHe's so little in this picture - they grow so fast huh? Love you friend! 😘
- shelbelle86As you know, our stories parallel in many ways. I love how you're sharing from the heart the struggles and resolutions you encountered. I pray moms will be encouraged by your story.
- kimberlyersk1ne@itserinmorris this breaks my heart that you felt ashamed. As a breastfeeding mama who also supplements, I'm not a fan of the fed is best campaign simply because I think that phrase simplifies greater issues. I so badly wish that wasn't your experience just starting out. Breastfeeding is so difficult and pumping any amount is awesome! Your body went through some serious stuff and after all of that, teaching yourself, your body AND your baby to breastfeed- whew, that's a lot! There shouldn't be any shame with that because you are here today and are a wonderful mama. You have a beautiful, bright and adorable little boy. You're doing everything right ❤
- rebeccaannvandemarkYou are amazing friend. Simply amazing. Thank you for inspiring me. ❤
Log in to like or comment.