docgovtnzA young kea has been released back into the wild in Fiordland after a successful surgery on his severely injured leg at @MasseyUni's Wildbase Hospital. Thanks to @RealJourneys, whose staff picked up the injured bird and brought it in to us at Te Anau.
Yesterday the healthy kea travelled from Palmerston North to Queenstown courtesy of @AirNZ. @MeridianEnergy’s boat delivered the kea to its final release site on Lake Manapouri. Thanks to everyone who helped get this kea home!
- geoffreidnzSo it takes 4 coporations to save one bird because DOC has no funding..
- docgovtnz@nzhunter When predators are controlled 70% of kea nests are successful. It's 10% without predator control: doc.govt.nz/kea-monitoring
- lincinthesouthAwesome DOC and everyone who helped. Great to see businesses getting on board to help look after our precious taonga.
- ella.hewerAwww yay 💞 @grant.cousins
- williampatino_photographyGreat work guys!
- ilovemimi87Well done on a united effort !
- thekiwibushmanGood effort but how many Kea have DOC kill with 1080 poison ? Thousands
- nzhunter@docgovtnz so you are saying it is ok to kill Kea with 1080?
- riddlesashimiNo leg band for him?
- geoffreidnz@thekiwibushman probably not as many as stoats have...
- geoffreidnzWhat are our thoughts on all these conservation (green washing) companies getting behind helping support some REAL conservation work like that of @keaconservation trust? @geokitteh @skompine @rozecology @georgemoonnz @the_inkmoth @kimbirdley @heedles
- geoffreidnz@lincinthesouth looking after one bird mate? Ill applaud them the day they start commiting to wide scale holistic ecosystem conservation. Not just charismatic single species or individual bird green washing !! @riddlesashimi @nzhunter @thekiwibushman
- georgemoonnz@geoffreidnz I think it's good to involve business in conservation, but not for core conservation work – it really boils down to the fact that DOC needs a lot more funding (especially with tourism pressures). What DOC does on their shoestring budget is pretty impressive!
Log in to like or comment.