- 52hikechallengeCheck out Jessie Emslie's #52HikeChallenge finisher story as she shares about her experience and what it took for her to take on the challenge! @jessieemslie “I have to admit that when I first learned about the 52 Hike Challenge, I immediately thought, “I can’t do that right now.” At the time, I was about halfway through my second pregnancy and I was still pretty tired a great deal of the time and plagued by sciatic pain that was made infinitely worse by stress. I had a toddler with limitless energy who needed to be either carried or chased down the trail, and the very thought of doing that carrying and chasing him on 52 hikes initially made me want to crawl right back into bed.
The morning of October 9, 2015 I loaded us up in the car with water and some snacks and drove East, headed for a park I’d seen photos of on Instagram. As my son and I wandered the trails of Paint Mines Interpretive Park, I realized that I needed this challenge and I needed it now, no matter how slow the pace and short the hikes. I needed to figure out how to comfortably hike while pregnant and how to encourage a delightfully stubborn and independent toddler down the trail. I needed a challenge that would help me feel like I was doing more than simply treading water in this intense stage of parenthood.
I snapped a photo of Luke as he looked down at the hoodoos below us and decided not to wait anymore. I decided not to wait for my second child to be born or for Luke to be a little less dependent on me to explore some of the beautiful trails near our home. I decided not wait for a more convenient time to invest in myself and nurture my love of hiking and photography. I decided not to wait to find a fantastic group of outdoor loving friends to share the journey with. I signed up for my 52 Hike Challenge later that evening, energized and excited from my hike with Luke at the Paint Mines. I had no way of knowing it then, but that was the beginning of a wonderful adventure I know I’ll continue to reflect on for many, many years to come.”- Jessie Emslie
- foreverlilsuzieThere is no perfect timing in doing this challenge - the challenge is to make the time. As many of us have found out - that can be the biggest obstacle 😉
- day_in_the_life_of_daniLove this! Recently started hiking a lot more with my three year old and one year old. They love it!
- 12janetsBeautifully written, and good decision!
- obdurhamLove your story, thank you for sharing
- hikerjennaInspirational! Thank you
- grgearAbsolutely ✌️🚐✌️
- twooutdooreducatorsSo inspiring ✨
- lil.lady_n_4boysLove this! @crazygirlslimsdown
- agelessrverWonderful story. 🌸🌸🌸
- jessieemslieThank you for the feature, @52hikechallenge! Those 52 hikes changed my life.
- ettheveganHow sweet is this!? ❤️❤️❤️