thecuriouscoconutOn the left is a "memory" that FB showed me today from 8 years ago, and I just snapped the pic on the right. 2009 was an extreme low point health-wise and you can see it all over my face. I was obese, pre-diabetic, hypertensive, had hyperlipidemia (was only 25 and an MD wanted me on statins), depressed, anxious, had IBS, a debilitating autoimmune skin condition called hidradenitis suppurativa (HS), and generally felt hopeless to improve my health. Conventional Western doctors told me I needed a dozen prescription and OTC drugs to "manage" my health, and for years I believed them. But something told me "this is not normal". That I was going about it all wrong. That there had to be another path to health. I am so profoundly grateful that I was guided to that path, paved with real food (Paleo diet), herbal medicine, yoga, meditation, acupuncture, functional medicine, and self-care. After just one year of dietary and lifestyle changes I lost 80 lbs and was able to stop taking all those drugs and did the "impossible" by putting HS into remission (dermatologist said I'd need chronic antibiotics and eventually disfiguring surgery.) ☯️
Earlier I was feeling discouraged in my current journey working to heal uterine fibroids and the traumas that I believe had a role in their forming. I was feeling stuck, not good enough, and sad. So I am quite thankful that FB showed me this photo, so that I could be reminded of just how far I have come, and why I started blogging. I remember how terrifying it was to be in that place 8 years ago, and I want to encourage others who feel hopeless and disempowered to take steps to improve their health. I found such hope in seeing others' success stories so I can only wish mine does the same for someone else. Radical change is absolutely possible. Don't ever silence that voice telling you that you deserve better, because you do. You are your own best health advocate - if you don’t like what a doctor tells you, find a new doctor! Explore holistic therapies. Food can be your medicine. And when you feel discouraged in your health journey, take a moment to reflect back on what you have accomplished, no matter how small. You've got this! xoxo ♥️🙌
- ancestral.food@theclaudiareport @hereisjill
- beccamanginiI have never read your story (I originally just followed for the Paleo eats! 😜) But I'm so glad you shared today, because you are an amazing testament to the truth that food is medicine and you can heal yourself!!
- mkolcolThks for sharing your story!
- crclif_fitthat's awesome!
- crclif_fityou're awesome!
- criobruThank you so much for taking the time to write this. Incredibly inspiring and honest! You are the "good" voice so many need to hear.
- eat.2.nourishLove how you took control! Food is everything....and attitude! So happy for you. 💞
- thecuriouscoconut@beccamangini I have been bad about keeping the conversation going about my history, this is a good reminder to keep sharing the info to reach new people. Glad you are here and thank you! 💖
- thecuriouscoconut@criobru thank you so much! 💕
- thecuriouscoconut@mkolcol you're welcome ♥️
- thecuriouscoconut@bodyfluidgrabbag that is a great way to put it. So glad you reclaimed your health too! 🙌
- thecuriouscoconut@dvanhorn83 you're welcome 💖
- thecuriouscoconut@eatprimalrunhard thank you 💕
- recipestonourishThank you so much for sharing your story! I'm so glad it was there for you as a reminder and that it popped up on FB as a memory when you needed it. You've got this too! Lots of love to you. 💕
- ashton_johnson5Beautiful!! So awesome!! 💜💜
- doubledutchaerobicsI healed my Fibroids through diet and fasting . I'm vegan though and I did 2 30 day juice cleanses and a water fast on the 17th day of my water fast the Fibroid that was causing miscarriages fell out !!! I now have my baby boy that was born I. March 10th :)
- thecuriouscoconut@recipestonourish thank you so much Emily 💖💖💖
- rimaberzin_art_photosI absolutely love love love reading your story and seeing where you have arrived. It is incredibly difficult and devoted work. Congratulations. Health well earned. I am on my own journey and so I know how hard you have/are working to keep your balance and your best self. Brava!
- lydiajoy.meLove this!!!
- greensandbones🙌🏽🙌🏽 @dineshkaushik_5 this is a great account to follow!
Log in to like or comment.