whole30recipesIt's me, @thedefineddish and here is the fantastic main dish for my Easter menu!
OVEN BAKED CREAMY LEMON-CAPER CHICKEN
4 lbs. chicken cutlets
salt and pepper
~1 cup arrowroot flour
2-8 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
For the Sauce:
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp. arrowroot flour
2-3 tbsp. capers (drained)
*Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
*A chicken cutlet is a chicken breast butterflied open. You can either do this yourself, or purchase it already like this. Once you have your chicken into "cutlets" break them down so that they are cut in half, lenthwise, and no longer attached to each other (It will look like 2 thinner breasts).
*Season both sides of the cutlets with salt and pepper.
*Place ½-3/4 cup of arrowroot flour in a bowl. Dredge both sides of the cutlets in the arrowroot flour to coat them.
*In a dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. In batches, lightly brown both sides of the cutlets (about 2 minutes per side) and as you go, set the browned ones aside on a plate. (They won’t be cooked through yet) Continue to brown all of the cutlets, adding additional oil to the skillet if needed as you go.
*Once all of your chicken is browned, lets make the sauce.
*Reduce heat to med-low.
*Add garlic to the skillet and saute for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn.
*Pour in the 2.5 cups of chicken broth into the skillet and whisk constantly, scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom.
*In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup broth, 2 tbsp. of arrowroot, and juice of 1 lemon. Pour into the skillet and whisk constantly until the sauce begins to thicken. Once the sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes) reduce heat to low.
*Very thinly slice the remaining 2 lemons into thin rounds (discard ends and remove seeds) Place the slices into the sauce with the capers. Remove from heat.
*Nestle the chicken into the sauce.
*** CROCKPOT OPTION: pour the sauce, lemon slices, and capers into a crockpot and nestle the chicken in. Cook on Low for 4 hours.***
*Cover the dutch oven, and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
*Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
- fajsnapshots@kmayher of course I'll just push aside the capers
- radsarah@bonnie_isabella too late! Same result here. And my sauce was soooo watery 😭
- bonnie_isabella@radsarah yup my sauce was watery too. I don't the slow cooker version was actually tested.
- radsarah@bonnie_isabella I'm about to serve mine...🤞🏻hoping for the best! Did people like yours?
- fdcbrownCan I use almond flour in place of the arrowroot flour??
- bethtn4Made this and loved it!
- aweeks14What arrowroot brand do you use?
- thedefineddish@aweeks14 I use @bobsredmill
- lalalaroccoWonderful recipe! Thank you!!!
- arrowheeHow do I adjust the cooking time if I make it in a cast iron skillet without a lid? I don't own a Dutch oven! @thedefineddish . TIA!
- arrowheeI meant baking time
- thedefineddish@arrowhee go to my blog, www.thedefineddish.com and search "skillet chicken piccata", do that recipe instead. It's the exact same but not done in the oven.
- arrowheeGreat! Thanks a bunch
- lisahutherMade this dish earlier this week and LOVED it! So yummy. This has been put into my rotation for sure!
- lujacqueI did this but I think I left the rinds in the crock pot and I made my sauce a little bitter so word to the wise don't leave your rinds in the crock pot too long
- lovefromcoast2coast@courtseitz recipes ideas on this account
- christygsmith@thedefineddish Holy crap. Made this tonight for dinner, and it was better than I had even hoped. Followed directions to a T with the exception of pulling it out of the oven about ten minutes early. Chicken was fork tender and not dry. This is going in the reg rotation. Thank you so much!
Log in to like or comment.