sfplbookartsNo, this is not a chocolate biscuit!
We're celebrating #NationalLibraryWeek by featuring images from our special collections documenting the history of the card catalog, and giving a big shout out to our national treasure, the Library of Congress. Just published: The Card Catalog; Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures, with a foreword by Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress; edited by Peter Devereux (Chronicle Books, 2017). An account of the history and evolution of the card catalog by the staff at the Library of Congress. The collective intellectual memory of our national library continues to live through its card catalog (evolving to the online catalog), providing access to the extraordinary treasures to be discovered there (SFPL has done the same by protecting our Main Library catalog).
We were so inspired by this book that we wanted to share something from our collections every day, following along with the Library of Congress --something similar, or exact, if we're lucky enough!--as showcased in the book. Today's selection is the cuneiform tablet. 📖
Way before the card catalog there was the clay tablet, used by ancient scribes to catalog everything from administrative and economic activity to numbers of livestock like this: a list of the various numbers of animals received in the seventh year of the reign of Su-Sin, the 4th king of the Third Dynasty of Ur, about 2325 BC. This tiny tablet measuring 2 x 1 1/2 inches records the receipt of 4 oxen, 4 equids, and 2441 sheep.
We're partnering with @chroniclebooks for a National Library Week giveaway. Find out more from our sister IGers @sfpubliclibrary.
#cuneiform #mesopotamia #sumerians #cardcatalog #libraryofcongress #richardharrisoncollection #sfplbookarts #sfpubliclibrary #iglibraries #librariestransform #chocolatebiscuit
- burntsmurffPicturing a filing cabinet full of cuneiform tablets! 😂
- spencerandmurphyWhen I first scrolled onto your post I thought it was a picture of a chocolate biscuit. No chance of me becoming an archaeologist.
- sfplbookartsOK, now we need some chocolate to go with that clay tablet @spencerandmurphy !
- sfplbookartsWouldn't that be something @burntsmurff !
- ilibbyyoungMe too @spencerandmurphy !
- redletterdayzinesuch a cool share! and thanks for the info about that new release from Chronicle; I'll add that to my "to read" pile for sure!
Log in to like or comment.