- juliarymerbruckerFor the past few days (ok, *weeks*) I have been agonizing through my work. It doesn't come easy sometimes- flow is elusive. I started looking at work by artists I am interested in right now, analyzing what it was that was working for their work, trying to discern why mine felt stilted and tight. I finally came upon the realization that - duh- I need to loosen up the shapes. I got out some old watercolor paper, stuff I don't mind destroying, and started playing loosely with the shapes, but keeping the structure of the compositions. I'm liking where these are going- they are reminiscent of the Entanglements series from a couple of years ago, but less serious and defined. More and more, I am getting away from conceptualism in my work and just painting. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I keep going. .
#abstractart #abstractpainting #newart #artprocess #contemporaryart #colorplay #painting #artistsoninstagram #inthestudio #artistlife #abstractexpressionism #findyourvoice #keepgoing #showupmakemarks #juliarymer
- mln65It doesn't look like this is a new departure in your work to me Julia! I think that none of us can escape from who we are.
- elisemorrispaintLovely! For me, so important not to feel precious with the materials!
- caropaintingsPastels 💜💙
- deidre.adamsI love reading your analysis. Your process is so interesting to me. I would love to be MORE conceptual, but always end up with the painting just taking over completely and then I agonize about how it gets away from me.
- tuesdaymoon94553Wow! Love these!
- kristen.abbott.artYou can feel the energy… They are looking great!
- skyler_mcgee_I really love these Julia!
- email@example.com I read this article recently about how conceptualism might be killing painting, because then the artist goes for the idea over craft. It was an interesting thought, and I started to wonder if that was why the work I did that was highly conceptual was not as well-received as the work I have done that is more intuitive and just about painting. Also, I feel like the process gets away from me too, and then I get absolutely despondent that I "ruined" a piece, only to "fix" it a week later.
- juliarymerbrucker@mln65 probably not a huge departure, but more like a step in a direction is like to go in, as opposed to how I have been feeling lately, like I'm just spinning my wheels!
- juliarymerbrucker@elisemorrispaint I agree.
- hillarybutlerfineartWord! Love these!