annamcnuffGreetings from Ushuaia: the end of the world! After 9,000 km travelled, 3 countries, 10 border crossings and over 103,000 metres ascended through the Andes Mountains on bikes — now seems like as good a time as any to stop.
Where do I begin with the summing up of a six month journey? I’m going to start where it is the most marvellous - with my friend Faye and I.
We were putting up our tents for the final time last night when she paused, mid construction, a tent peg in one hand and her groundsheet in the other:
'Anna…’ she said.
.'Yes mate?’ I stopped wrestling with my own pop-up-palace, and looked across at her.
'I think we’ve done really well, you know. I don’t mean the cycling, I mean… well… us.’
I smiled. ’Well?! I think ‘well’ is an understatement Faye-bomb! It’s not normal, living the way we have. It’s enough to drive you bananas. And we still very much like bananas.’
There was a moment of silence.
'I think it’s been the best thing, you know. Us two.’ Faye continued quietly.
'Me too mate, me too.’ I replied. We smiled at one another, and then went back to putting up our tents — just as we have done almost every night for the past half a year.
The truth is, cycling up mountains is wonderful. Gasping for oxygen at 5,900 metres high is tougher than I had ever imagined. Dealing with crashes, dog bites, sub-zero temperatures, running out of food, 70 mph cross-winds and gastroenteritis — these are challenges I won’t forget in a hurry. But if you asked me what it is that I am most proud of about this journey, then it’s the way that Faye and I have managed our friendship. (Part 1 of 2)
#cyclinglife #friendship #theoutbound #themountainiscalling #adventureblog #getoutside #ventureout #passionpassport #wherewillwegonext
- paulkim64I know that feeling. Well done girls and congrats!
- cdilz❤❤❤❤❤ well done, you!!!
- kilbot3000Congratulations on completing your journey, it's been inspiring to watch your feed.
- jayneyd17Awesomeness that's you two!!
- paulpetchWhat an adventure!!! 🤙❤️❤️❤️
- shakeydoolahIve been following your incredible journey, totally inspiring,everytime i read a post no matter what you two have been through you are always up and positive and seeing the funnyside of life and appreciating the small things and each other. Fantastic 😁
- thelongesttryClass acts, well done ladies
- trektradewindsAmazing ladies! Hope your legs dont seize too quickly. Safe travels home 💚💚🚴♀️🚴♀️🎉
- stephensliskiGreat feed! I would love to connect with you!
- cbearcycling@faye_shepherd @annamcnuff Thks for letting us join in this past 6 mos of adventure. @ellacyclingtips @_pigeons_
- grimes_clareWell done......fantastic......have loved all of your posts! Well done both👍💪
- gavinsandfordBeautiful account there... made me smile... human endeavour hand..true grit and hand in hand with friendship... 😀😀😀
- worldonawhimblogWow what a journey!
- connellmccarthyAbsolutely Stunning!
- tamsynleahIm so sorry I haven't congratulated you guys! Im going to miss your journey so much. So incredibly proud for you both, what a story to tell and be told though eh? The memories! What next? 😊👌🏻
- eatwelltraveleverywhereLovely post
Log in to like or comment.