- marinaartsMigrant mother (Florence Owens, 32 year old mother of ten children), Nipomo, California, 1936. The photograph that has become known as "Migrant Mother" is one of a series of photographs that Dorothea Lange made of Florence Owens Thompson and her children. Lange was concluding a month's trip photographing migratory farm labor around the state for what was then the Resettlement Administration.
#history #historical #historybuff #photoshop #marinamaral #restoration #digitalart #photography #colorization #colouring #colourise #retouch #usa #usa #greatdepression #migrantmother
- anne.terpstraI love this one, amazing! 😍
- tzeyehawkVery touching...I just watched a fascinating doc on Dorothea Lange...they talked quite a bit about this one; apparently there were several different shots she took of this woman, and they were all featured in the doc, including one they thought had been lost; pretty amazing & interesting to see.
- refdudeEvery time I see a picture of her the number of her children goes up. I wonder how many kids is the correct number.
- vintagecameradigestHers is a very interesting story. She was mistakenly identified as a migrant worker at the pea picker's camp. In reality the family was there because their car had broken down. At the time Lange made the photo, Ms. Thompson's husband had gone to town to get a tire repaired. When the photo was published it led to food and aid being sent to the migrant camp. Ironically, the Thompson family had moved on by then.
- vintagecameradigestThompson is Ms. Owens' married name.