- sciencemuseum#onthisday on a New York City street in 1973, Motorola researcher Martin Cooper made the first public call on a handheld mobile phone.
Cooper, often called the ‘father of the mobile phone’, worked at Motorola in the 1970s and invented the first handheld cellular mobile phone. Before Cooper and his team’s phone became available to the public in 1983, car phones had been used to provide a telephone service on the go.
Now, just over 40 years later, the mobile phone has become a staple of modern day life. See mobile models from across the years in our Information Age Gallery.
Image via GQ France.
- sciencemuseum#MartinCooper #Motorola #Science #History #Mobile
- anthonyfertilephotographerBritain's first official call on a mobile (following a beta test in London) was made on 1 January 1985 by 24-year-old Michael Harrison, son of Vodafone chairman Sir Ernest Harrison. @sciencemuseum
- buzzblacksmithAnd they say size makes no difference.
- maragescultorThe shoe
- firstname.lastname@example.org - reminds me of Cess.
- sciencemuseum@anthonyfertilephotographer Great fact - thank you!
- givoglobalSo cool