americanantiquarianIn honor of the over 30,000 people running the 121st Boston Marathon today we post this ca. 1880 carte-de-visite of G.F. Avery, a race walker from Bangor, Maine. In the 1870s and 1880s, huge crowds filled arenas where pedestrians competed in races as long as 600 miles! While we admire Avery's fashion sense (those shorts!), we are not sure his outfit could compete today against the lycra, spandex, and technical wear moving in a human river along the 26 miles from Hopkinton to Copley Square! #bostonmarathon2017 #pedestrian #photography_aas #cartedevisite
- marvels_dazzler👣and those shoes!
- antiqueartnzEarly style compression pants
- pamelajaneyBring back fringe! Niiiice. Why would he need that rod, I wonder?
- americanantiquarianNot sure @pamelajaney -- maybe to poke his competition as he passed them?
- pamelajaneyHa @americanantiquarian Doubt he'd have been too popular with that method 😄
Log in to like or comment.