juliarymerbruckerToday is my 39th birthday. I'm not writing that to get a bunch of birthday wishes, but to talk about goals and how life changes. 21 years ago, I had an absurd goal to be a tenured professor and famous artist by now. There was nothing in there about marriage, kids, relationships, travel, learning new technology or the circuitous route that creative lives take. So instead, when that original goal fell through, and I sat there with the pieces of my shattered life in 2009, living in the Bay Area and with ZERO academic job prospects, I crumbled into depression. Fortunately, I found a lifeline in a fantastic therapist and doctor who basically saved my life. I started volunteering for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and threw myself into being an artist. I nannied part time, helped my husband build his incredible career, had a kid, worked for a cool yoga studio (@bloomretreat, which changed my life), taught myself Photoshop, how to build a website, blog, and manage social media as an artist-entrepreneur, had another kid, sold a lot of art, started working with the incomparable @jenperlmutter, a woman I admire more than just about anyone, made some amazing art friends like @ellenlevinedoddart @elisemorrispaint and @artistkolsendunn and @aswebs so I did not feel so alone anymore (thank you!), moved back to Denver, bought a house (!) and continued throwing myself into my art, painting by painting, show by show, client by client, while raising crazed children and trying to find time to ski and go to yoga class.
When I look back on that original goal, it feels so small, and the life I created out of the ashes of my academic career is amazing. It is challenging, but it sure is cool. I am really glad life happened while I was busy making other plans. Love to all. Thanks for making my life brighter, artists, designers, gallerists, art lovers and friends! #happybirthday #lifehappens #newlife #wow #love #artheals #artistlife #artistsoninstagram #abstractart #abstractpainting
- amandacooperinteriorsHappiest of birthdays to a wonderful woman who braved the odds to live an incredible life. So glad you took this route and you're here today to be able to tell your story. Best wishes Julia!! 💛💛🎉🙌🏼
- tuesdaymoon94553Sending lovely birthday wishes your way. Making plans is just a guideline. The universe has its own plans and be open to those messages which I think you definitely has - had made your life rich and brought so many good people into it.
- jenperlmutterWow! Wonderful to take stock like that Julia. You have accomplished a great deal and I see years of accomplishments ahead with your art and the two amazing beings you are stewarding into bloom! Happy Birthday!🎁 thank you for being part of this crazy art journey with us. XOX
- animalcrackerstudioThis is amazing. Thank you for sharing your journey (and happy birthday!).
- elisemorrispaintYes! A much bigger life I would say. Very happy to be a part of it! 😚
- susanmisHappy Birthday💕Have as special a Day as you are! 🎂🎁🎉🍸Hugs.💜 Aunt Susan
- jessicamageeartHappy birthday Julia!! I'm so impressed with you as an artist, momma, person...you will do more and more wonderful things as the years go by. I hope you have a fantastic day!
- billinstaHappy birthday 🍾🎂
- juliarymerbrucker@jenperlmutter Thank YOU! 😘💗
- naomi.webberYou are such an amazing writer too.
- kristen.abbott.artAww! Sad I'm just seeing this and didn't give you a birthday hug! 💗 but glad you're back in Denver!
- tsbonnellSo thankful for all the beauty that has bloomed from your life! Glad to have you back in Denver, and amazed how you could dive right in after you moved!
- juliarymerbrucker@tsbonnell it is so nice to be back with my art pals!
- email@example.com 😘
- elizabethbeardesignsHappy Birthday and love this piece! Very talented!
- elizabethbeardesignsAnd so amazing of you to share those personal insights. ❤️❤️❤️
- juliarymerbrucker@elizabethbeardesigns Thank you so much!
- elizabethbeardesigns@juliarymerbrucker 😘
Log in to like or comment.