recobklynFirst cut we took on one of the largest NYC logs to have ever been milled into lumber. The tree was a European Elm that stood in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. It had an 89" diameter. Big thanks to @prospect_park for making this happen. If you missed our blog post on it last year, check the link in our bio. .
#prospectpark #elm #elmslabs #elmwood #elmlumber #livedge #liveedgeslabs #sawmilllife #lumberjack #logging #urbanlumber #urbanforest #sawmillbusiness #lucasmill #lumberyard #bandsaw #bandsawmill
- matt_wallaceHow did it turn out? We get the odd elm up here, but they're not very big. Most were killed years ago.
- recobklyn@matt_wallace We are air drying for at least another year. So far so good. We did a small run of dimensional boards in the kiln after air drying for a few months, just to see what would happen. It didn't go well!
- jharrold64Which mill is this? Is it a large Alaska Mill (chain saw bar)?
- matt_wallace@recobklyn I've had problems drying elm before. We tend to leave it for about a year as well before we throw it in the kiln.
- recobklyn@jharrold64 it's our beloved #lucasmill
- recobklyn@matt_wallace we are air drying the 3" slabs we cut from this monster for 3 years most likely! ⏳⏳👍
- re.bootis there any dimensional lumber from this available?
- email@example.com we have a few hundred board feet from a test run the kiln. It's pretty warped because we intentionally rushed it. Give us a call 347-770-5002.
Log in to like or comment.