stephanie_blue_A couple of days ago, my 16 year old went to the bank and opened a checking account. He wanted to deposit his very first paychecks. The kid already has more sense than me; he likes to save money. I splurged and bought a purse with my first paycheck and it was fabulous!
The banker starts this spiel about the cost of college. I tell him, "No worries; we've got that covered." I could have easily got on my soapbox and explained how I believe that college is a racket and a big business, how kids graduate with thousands in debt, and how it doesn't guarantee anything.
Fast forward to today. I just finished a great @lewishowes podcast where @itsadambraun about this exact topic. Years ago, college was the American dream. You graduate from high school, go to college, get a degree, land an awesome job, and start a family. That's not the reality anymore. But so many of us struggle with letting go of the ideal.
Me? I have a Masters degree. But I got it 20 years ago and it cost $8,000. College is a necessity for some professions. It's not a bad thing. It's just not necessary for everyone.
If my own kids decide not to go to college, I am totally cool with that. If they choose to go to college, it needs to be intentional and done with a plan. College should not be the default or 13th grade. Times are changing and we need to change with them. .
I want my kids to love God, serve others, and follow their passions. You don't need a degree and $100,000 of debt to do that. 💗
#homeschool #homeschooling #homeeducation #teachyourown #unschooling #homeschoolmom #homeschoolscience #positivemindet #bepositive #intentionalliving #wildandfree #wildandfreechildren #positivemindset #365homeschool #charlottemason
#hiphomeschoolmoms #homeschoollife #debtfree #coffeeandjesus #soulscripts #truth #entrepreneur #bossmom #bosslady
- surfstokedmomsRipping pic!
- val.bonillaYes @stephanie_blue_ 💖
- firstname.lastname@example.org 💗💗💗
- bountiful.life.essentialsAmen sister!
- yanteloWow this hit home because my husband thinks the same way! He's a financial advisor at Primerica and he sees college the same way you do. @stephanie_blue_
- living_essentialAmen love this!! My boys choice the military and my youngest used his GI bill and is almost done with his trade school to be an electrician. Both my husband and I didn't go to college and have good paying jobs!!
- stephanie_blue_@yantelo people with $150,000 in college debt are working at Home Depot and WalMart. I'd rather my kids have the same job and a paid for house.
- stephanie_blue_@living_essential my dad was military and my Masters was paid for by the GI bill. 😘 I make a great income and don't use my degree at all. I think trade school is a great thing. And electricians get paid very well.
- dzzy_dHi Steph..School was never my thing, dumbest Asian kid out there..option B was for me..I will retire from the USN in 8 months, 22 Years in..man time flies. Have no clue what I'm doing next, maybe I can sling oils and such.. or Sams greater .
- stephanie_blue_@dzzy_d dude, you are so NOT dumb. We judge intelligence by academic performance and scores on standardized tests. This is messed up. I think you're a lot like me. I got crappy grades in high school. I didn't really care and wasn't interested or motivated. 22 years is crazy! Can't believe it's been that long. You'll retire young which is awesome! The Oil Slinger. I like that!! We need to make that happen! 💗💗
Log in to like or comment.